10 Experiences You Relate To If You're The Mom Friend

You're in college, but that doesn't mean you're just like the average college kid.

30
Billboard.com

When going away to college that’s the first time most kids have to live without their mom and dad, therefore someone will always get named “mom” of your friend group (If you’re lucky enough it could be you). Being the mom isn’t always a bad thing, it means your friends trust you and they can always count on you to keep them in line. But there are also a lot of responsibilities that come along with being everyone's "mom."

1. "Okay, mom."

What comes to the mom position is you are always yelling at someone for something. Whether it’s not having their homework done on time, skipping class, or over-sleeping you will always get a quick response of “Okay, Mom!” Just roll with it girl, your mom so own up to your position.

2. It's on you to keep your friends under control.

Being the mom, you know your friends will most likely need you late at night. This means you must always control yourself, whether you like it or not. Because when the night comes to an end you’ll be the one holding their hair while they throw up, or getting them changed and into bed.

3. You’re not just mom, you’re their friend too.

Sometimes your friends get so used to you always being mom, that they sometimes forget that you are the same age as them and you are still their friend too. Even though you are very mature and stay calm 95% of the time, there are sometimes you want to go out and have fun as well and not need to worry about anyone else.

4. Being there for them when they get into trouble.

The moment something goes wrong in your friend’s life you are the first one to hear about it. You are the first one they go to for help and advice. As mom, you always know what to say and how to get them out of every situation.

5. You’re sometimes embarrassed by your friends.

You love your friends to death, but sometimes they just need to be reminded of what is appropriate to do or say in public. And you constantly find yourself apologizing to others on their behalf.

6. You’re expected to make a lot of the group decisions.

Being mom means making plans are usually put on you. You just do it, because if you don’t make the decisions, no one will.

7. You sometimes feel like an outcast.

Being mom usually means you are more mature than the rest of your friends and that can make you feel like an outsider. It can get lonely knowing you don’t think the same as they do.

8. You fear that you’re the boring friend.

Being the mom friend makes you feel a little boring. The rest of your friends are loud, inappropriate, and crazy, so this makes you feel like you are the boring friend most times.

9. You’re sometimes unsure of what friend you can talk to about your problems because everyone always comes to you.

You find it hard to choose which friend can relate to your feelings because you don’t know if they think the same way. The mature friend can often be left feeling lonely because of this.

10. You have no shame of being the absolute opposite of the average college student.

A mom’s got to do, what a mom’s got to do. So stand proud moms, one day your kiddos will thank you!

As you can see being mom isn’t always fun or the best job, but someone has got to do it and if it’s not us, then who will? I think of some of my friends being “mom” and I kind of laugh because it’s not an easy job to take on as a college student and I don’t think they could handle it. But no matter how difficult it may be at times, it’s a job I wouldn’t change for the world. I’m proud to be the mom of my friend group.