A Response To 'Ladies, Nike Shorts And Leggings Are For the Gym, Nowhere Else'

You don't get to control what I put on my body.

143
Tumblr

As a girl in college, my easiest, go-to outfit is definitely either leggings and a t shirt, or Nike shorts and a t-shirt. I go to class, I go to my on campus job, (that by the way, does not require a dress code) and I'm comfortable. I'm ready for the day.

I've never been told by professors, my boss, or any fellow classmates that my outfit is inappropriate. Why? Because all the other girls around me are wearing the same thing. We are in college, not a fashion show. We are here to learn and be ready to go to class, not impress.

You, my friend, Rachel, say that success is in what you wear. And to some extent, I do agree with you. I would never show up to a job interview wearing a t shirt and Nike shorts. What you fail to understand it seems, is that there is a time and a place for everything.

Woman to woman, what you're saying isn't cool. We're already degraded, put down by society for hundreds of reasons. Why add to it? As a woman, as someone who I'm sure has seen more than enough hate in her lifetime, why bring down other women by saying that what they wear means more than their brains, their personality or anything else they have to offer the world?

The thinking you're displaying here is VERY comparable to when rape victims are asked, "Well what were you wearing?" As if the clothing on a person provoked someone else to attack them. Or when a girl with a bigger chest walks by in a lower cut shirt. As if her wearing that shirt HURTS you in some way.

You are judging women on what they wear, as if what they wear is the only thing that makes up the woman. If a CEO of a major corporation decided to have a lazy day and wear sweats going to the grocery store, you would write them off as uneducated and unsuccessful based on their outside appearance. Clothing does not make a person. Clothing does not make decisions for a person. Clothing is not anything more than a cloth covering one's body in the way they are comfortable.

You say you understand, "life is uncomfortable". But there's no excuse for dressing comfortable or in an outfit that makes us feel good.

I'll be real with you for a second, Rachel. I'm a bigger girl. This past month, I was looking for jeans to buy to go back to school with. Do you know how many stores I had to go to before I found jeans that fit me? At least four. Four different stores did not have my size, and even if they did, the jeans I found were not flattering and were not something I was comfortable putting on my body. I did end up finding jeans that fit, and they're wonderful. However, I found 10x the amount of leggings for much cheaper, and they fit better.

Please do not tell me that dressing in leggings in unprofessional. Please do not look at me and look at what I wear and write me off. I'm a woman, I'm strong and powerful and determined. I'm graduating college this year with 3 minors, going into a field that I love and helping people every day.

How I dress now, when I have no one to impress, means nothing. My professors, my parents, and my peers still see me for the woman I am. I hope you change your thinking and see women for who they are too, not what they choose to put on their bodies.

And frankly, what anyone else wears or does is none of your business. Find a way to be happy with yourself and not worry about others, nothing they are doing is effecting you.

You can find the original article here: Ladies, Nike Shorts And Leggings Are For The Gym, Nowhere Else.