Seven New Year's Resolutions Inspired By Divergent

How Divergent Can Teach Us To Live In An Almost Dystopian World

21
sarahnewton.com

I was watching Divergent with my mother and brother on New Year's Day and it got me thinking about the parallels between the world shown in the film and the world with which we are entering into in the new year. It also got me thinking about what we can learn from the movie (and the book, but I'm going off of the movie for this one). Now, this isn't going to be some doom and gloom piece about how we're all doomed to have Dauntless attack Abnegation to achieve Erudite's evil plot. (Sorry, retroactive spoiler alert there.) Rather, this is about the things we can learn about how to approach these trying and in many ways terrifying times. So here we go. Seven New Year's resolutions inspired by Veronica Roth's Divergent.

1) Be Abnegation

Be selfless. Care for those around you. There's so much fear and anger being felt by so many right now and it will continue to be felt in the months ahead and years to come. So look out for one another. We can only heal and move forward if we do so together, so work toward that. It won't always be easy. In fact, most of the time it won't be. But that doesn't make it any less important. Furthermore, be a public servant. By that I don't mean that you need to go get a job in the government, but serve people. Volunteer your time, energies, and skills to affect the change you want in the world. Serve food in a soup kitchen. Volunteer to work civil rights cases pro bono. Work at an after-school program or an adult education class. Protest. All of these things and more can improve the world around you.

2) Be Dauntless

Be brave. That doesn't mean that you have to hide your fears. Feel them, and let them make you stronger. Take the fear you feel and face it. If we face our fears together (see Abnegation) then we can be far stronger than we are as individuals. Fight for what is right even when it doesn't seem easy. Fight for what is right even when it may put yourself in danger. Allow your fears to make you braver, stronger, and more unstoppable than ever before.

3) Be Erudite

Be intelligent. You don't have to have a formal education to be intelligent and to use that to your advantage. Street smarts and people skills are just as important. Pick your battles and know when it's ok to back off. Educate yourself on the issues that matter to you so that you can have coherent conversations with people and change hearts and minds. Be critical of what you read and hear. Do your own research and take nothing for granted.

4) Be Amity

Be kind. There is enough pain and suffering and fear already, we don't need to make it worse. Be peaceful whenever possible (though sometimes it may be necessary to go beyond that. For that, see Dauntless.) Treat others with respect, especially those to whom it is hard to do so. That doesn't mean respecting their authority or even what they say (if what they say is disrespectful in and of itself). It means respecting their humanity. Do not stoop to the levels that others would. Show kindness and love, even when it's hard. By doing this we can build bridges and make the world a better place, no matter how terrible it may seem now. The night is always darkest before the dawn and we can bring that dawn to fruition.

5) Be Candor

Be honest. Call people out. If people are being disrespectful then say so. Don't let it sit there and form a tapestry of hatred that constricts you and others. Be frank and don't let people get away with the dehumanization of others. Additionally, be honest with yourself and others about what you need and want. Don't give more than you can without losing yourself and speak your mind. Tell others how you feel so that you don't regret not doing so later.

6) Be Divergent

Refuse to be confined, categorized, or restricted. There are good things to be gained from each faction, but no single faction is better than the others. Think for yourself and develop all of your talents and abilities. Know your own mind and heart. Be free and don't let others tell you what to think or do.

7) Show Your Love To Those You Care About

Life is not worth living without love. Love is who we care for, what we fight for, what we learn for, why we are kind, and shown in our honesty. Without love, we have nothing. Make sure that those you love know that you love them. Tell them whenever you can and show it in whatever ways will mean the most to them. You never know which time may be your last.