Resistbot: A Simple Text Will Fax Your Opinions DIRECTLY To Congress

Think writing your representative is hard? Now it's as simple as texting a friend.

263
Resistbot

Whether you're left, right, or center, there's one thing you can hardly deny about American politics these days— people are more engaged than they've been in a long time. People are pissed.

They're making sure lawmakers know it. It's not always easy to get a hold of your representatives, but with a free new service I stumbled across, I found that it's now easier than ever.

Let me introduce myself— I'm a very pissed off American who loves civic engagement.

I've got some opinions on the state of our nation that are pretty damn strong— feel free to check out some of my other articles to see what I mean.

I'm someone who's very closely attuned to politics (one of my two degrees is in political science), and thus, I like to be very engaged in our country's affairs.

I'm a pretty vocal opponent of our current President and the things he stands for. Since Inauguration Day, I've been calling my representative, my senators, and the White House comment line at least once a week.

I've been writing to my legislators in Congress for a couple years now, but never anywhere near this frequently.

I'll admit, with a fresh outrage blowing up just about every news cycle due to our President's antics, it can get a little time-consuming to keep up with calling your representatives.

We can't slack off.

I don't give a damn what some people say, calling your lawmakers does make a difference. One message may not do much but trust me, a whole flood of messages will get a legislator's attention real quick.

So what can people do to quickly and easily get their legislator's ear?

Say hello to Resistbot— a helpful service that makes speaking your mind to Congress literally as easy as texting a friend.

While browsing Reddit recently, I stumbled across a thread that was discussing political activism. One Redditor included a link to this free mobile service called Resistbot. Me being me, I was intrigued and had to check it out.

I was a little skeptical at first. Turns out, it's not an app - you don't need to download anything. You just text "RESIST" to 50409, and you get started. Kinda sounded like Cha-Cha, but all grown up and somehow worked its way into the D.C. Beltway. I thought for a sec, "Wait... What if this is some sort of evil tracking service used to keep track of political dissidents or something?"

Fear not, this thing is legit.

It's the brainchild of startup entrepreneur Eric Ries and a team of activist co-developers. Resistbot has been praised by the likes of The Huffington Post, The Guardian, The Civic Action Center, and even the magnificent George Takei (oh myyyyyyy).

And besides, when the jackbooted thugs come kick down our doors and drag us away to gold-plated Trump International-branded gulags, at least this service will record our names and efforts for posterity. (Kidding, guys, I'm just kidding. But please, don't take me away.)

Here's how it works:

So, you just start by sending "RESIST" to 50409, and the bot will respond to you in seconds. (You can also do all this by messaging Resistbot through Facebook Messenger.)

This is how it went for me:

From there, punch in your zip, and it will get a general idea of where you live. Basically it's going to determine what state you live in so it can figure out who your senators are. Resistbot lets you unlock more features the more you use it.

The first message you send will only go to your senators, but more comes with your next usage.

Being from the great and mighty Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, my first message was sent to the Keystone State's senators, Bob Casey (D) and Pat Toomey (R).

All you have to do is type up a message as short or long as you like, and hit send. After that, it will ask you if you want to review the message and make any changes to it. If you're happy with the way it looks, just text "send" to Resistbot, and your message will be turned into a fax.

Yeah, you heard me right, a fax. Faxes are serious stuff. You can ignore or overlook emails and let the phone ring off the hook, but you can't ignore a whole heap of letters pouring out of your fax machine onto your desk.

I think this part is pretty cool. Those little images it sends back are what your message actually looks like when it gets sent to your senators. Resistbot formats everything for you and makes your message into a professional, legitimate letter to an elected official.

In just a moment, the bot will send you confirmations that your messages arrived at the legislators' fax machines. It's all that simple. If you want to send more messages, all you gotta do is start right back at the beginning by texting "RESIST" to 50409.

As an incentive to keep at it and continue to contact your lawmakers, the next day, you can send a message to your representative in addition to your senators.

The next day, I sent a letter to not only Senators Casey and Toomey, but also to my congressman, Rep. Tom Marino (R).

As you go on, you can do even more things, like attach your handwritten signature to your letters, have physical letters sent to your legislators, and more.

In a time when civic engagement is so important, Resistbot is just what we need.

Millennials are the rising generation, guys. A little while down the road, we're going to be the ones in Congress, and it will be us who will be receiving all these messages, faxes, emails, calls, and letters.

However, our generation hasn't exactly had the most solid reputation when it comes to political engagement. Here, though, is a way for us to get more people involved.

Using Resistbot is so simple and easy, and you can use it for free. Donations are definitely appreciated, because just a dollar can help this service send one letter through the mail or a hundred letters by fax. Even helping to fund this thing is easy.

There's something I think every American needs to understand, and it's this:

Democracy is not just a system of government, it's a commitment.

Democracy is certainly not a perfect system, indeed. I don't think there really can be a perfect system of government. But I'm willing to argue that democracy is the best system that the world has. If it's working right, it can provide a voice for everybody.

It can provide liberty, prosperity, and happiness for a nation of people who, when they look at each other, see equals.

But here's the catch— a democracy doesn't mean a damn thing if the people living under it are content to just sit back and do nothing. Democracies aren't for the lazy and the complacent.

A nation that wants democracy has to earn it.

How does a nation earn it? When its people are willing to stand up and make their voices heard for what they want. If a nation's people won't do that, then their representatives are just free to do as they wish.

That's not how this country works.

Since 1787, we have had the right "to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." That's part of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, folks. That's a right you have. I believe rights are like muscles— unless they're exercised regularly, they atrophy and grow weak.

Flex those rights, guys.

Stop thinking of your legislators as your social superiors, and start thinking of them as what they really are... your employees.

Every last one of the 535 members of Congress works for us— the American people so make sure they remember that.

Our country has some work to do, fellow millennials. I don't know about you, but I think it's time to get to work. Lend me a hand and get started— it's just a text away.