Remembering Carrie Fisher

Remembering Carrie Fisher

October 21 1956 - December 27 2016

28
Remembering Carrie Fisher
Independent

As a fan of Star Wars, upon hearing of Carrie Fisher's death, I was devastated. But just as a person, I was heartbroken. Not only did Carrie win our hearts as Princess/General Leia Organa, she was a humanitarian, author, feminist, and mental health advocate. Through her struggles growing up in Hollywood's spotlight, she was able to overcome alcoholism, drug addiction and was very open about how she was still living with her mental illness.

One thing I believe everyone can respect about Carrie Fisher is that she said what was on her mind because she knew that the things hardest to say were often the most important. As someone who struggles with mental health, I view her as a role model for her ability to address how important it is to talk about mental illness and how it is not something to be ashamed of. Through the 1970's and 1980's Carrie struggled with addiction, something she was never afraid to own up to. She was quoted saying she was a "product of Hollywood in-breeding," due to her famous parents, Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher. Many of the Hollywood children end up leading lives surrounded by addiction, and she was no exception, but it was something she learned and grew from.

Living with Bipolar Disorder, Fisher was absolutely an advocate for those struggling with mental illness. As a writer for The Guardian, Carrie said to one woman, "You can let it all fall down and feel defeated and hopeless and that you're done. Move through those feelings and meet me on the other side. As your bipolar sister, I'll be watching." As the author of eight books, Carrie was always very honest and candid when addressing her mental illness. Her biggest tribunal is that you do not need to let your illness drag you down. Those with mental illness can be bestselling authors, they can rescue animals, they can have a child who adores them, they can be successful.

Carrie Fisher also provided a strong role model for women. She was a proud feminist and spent most of her life trying to break the mold of being objectified. She cautioned The Force Awakens co-star, Daisy Ridley, “You should fight for your outfit. Don’t be a slave like I was. You keep fighting against that slave outfit.” She spoke about how cruel Hollywood can be to women of all ages. From the sexualizing at young ages, to being pressured to lose weight recently to reprise her role as Leia. Her stance on how her male-counterparts do not face as much as the same scrutiny shows how much depth Carrie Fisher truly had. She wasn't just a typical young actress, she was ahead of her time being the feminist she was.

Not only was Carrie a feminist, but she made sure these same beliefs came through with her character of Princess Leia who would later be known as General Organa. I grew up watching the Star Wars movies and looking back now, I'm so happy that there was a princess I could truly look up to. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind and made it abundantly clear she did not need a man to save her. For the time period, it was not often you got to see a woman who could be a hero.

Now with the passing of her legendary mother, Debbie Reynolds, my heart aches even more for the Fisher/Reynolds family. From Singing In The Rain to Halloweentown, she proved to be a dynamic and talented woman. Debbie Reynolds was one of the last remaining of the Hollywood royalty, a true example of aging with grace. Sources have stated that her last words were "I want to be with Carrie," and for that it makes me so emotional to know she died of a broken heart. My thoughts are with Carrie's daughter and Debbie's granddaughter Billie Lourd, and with their brother and son respectively, Todd Fisher, as well as everyone else missing them.

At a time when good, strong women are needed more than ever it is absolutely devastating to see souls such as Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher's leaving us. Harrison Ford released a statement after Carrie's death stating, "Carrie was one-of-a-kind … brilliant, original. Funny and emotionally fearless. She lived her life, bravely." She will be deeply missed by everyone who knew her and by those who felt like they knew her through her work.

Thank you for giving us hope. May the force be with you always.