To the Person Wondering If They should Stay.
relationships

An Open Letter To The Person Wondering If They Should Stay

It’s okay to be afraid, to look back, and to wonder if you made the right decision.

220
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GmVqpfgTKY

Dear Someone,

If you're reading this, you're probably torn. Maybe you feel as if you're overreacting, hypersensitive, or just outgrowing your former needs. You're wondering, "Should I stay?". The answer is simple: no. If it keeps you up at night, makes you feel like less of a person, or tempts you to stay in bed all day, then you should leave. Whether it's a job, relationship, friendship, institution, extracurricular activity, sorority or fraternity, if it makes you question your worth, leave.

Sometimes it isn't easy to just pick up and leave. A decision like that should not be made out of anger, or on a whim. Give it some thought, but don't let it consume you. Ask yourself, "What does this person/thing/place bring to my life?" If you're an optimist, you will think of the good times; if you're a pessimist, you'll think of the bad. The key to letting go is to think of both the good and the bad. Appreciate the growth, but acknowledge the setbacks.

It's easy to say, "I'm done", but it isn't easy to be done. It's okay to be afraid, to look back, and to wonder if you made the right decision. It is human nature to question yourself, but instead of asking, "Why did I do this?", ask, "How can I grow from this?" As humans, we compete with each other and we discredit ourselves more than we believe in ourselves. Competition kills, and it doesn't nurture self-improvement; rather it breeds resentment and a false sense of comfort.

Competition isn't always internal, people will try to compete with you. Sure, everyone has a bad moment, but if their bad moment(s) turn in to a bad friendship, leave. It's harsh, it hurts, but sometimes it's necessary. We're social creatures, we thrive in companionship; not all companionship is good.

Some of us are romantics, which makes leaving a romantic relationship difficult. This person can be the love of your life, your best friend and your family all in one; often it is hard to live life without them. It's okay to miss them, but it isn't okay to run back to them. You must remember that they left your life for a reason. They were great for a time, but they aren't good for you anymore, and that's okay.

Life is short, spend it in the right places with the right people. Above all, remember that no unfortunate situation is worth your happiness.

Best,

A Friend Who's Been There Before.