What I've Learned From My First Semester In College

Time management really is important!

783
Her Campus

In the past year, I received a writing scholarship that included full room-and-board for four years, graduated from high school, moved three and a half hours away from home, and successfully finished my first semester of college.

College has been everything I expected and so much more. Stereotypical late nights, cramming sessions in the library, endless cups of coffee,--or in my case, hot chocolate, and at times, Starbucks double shots-- Netflix binge days, and nights out with friends.

The time passed slow, but at times it passed fast. I never thought midterms would end, but Thanksgiving break was done and over within a flash. I met people from all over the country and even became a part of my school's student government. College has brought an abundance of opportunities into my life that I never thought were possible. Each and every opportunity allowed me to sprint out of my comfort zone, and I never imagined this is where I would be at eighteen.

I learned a lot of things this semester, but most importantly, I've learned to live life; life with care for everyone around me no matter their race, sexuality, religion, background, or anything else. Going to a school as diverse as mine really introduces you to many different cultures and makes you appreciate those around you.

I learned the importance of proper goodbyes. I lost my grandmother to cancer in mid-November, and I didn't get a chance to say a real good bye to her before I left for school. I became accustomed to talking to my parents through FaceTime and over the phone, even if I didn't like it. I realized how lonely it can feel to be 212 miles away from home.

With the distance from my family, I've learned I can survive on my own. Doing my own laundry, washing my own dishes, saving my own money, and so much more. Nothing beats my Yiayia's cooking, and not having Greek food at my disposal was a major adjustment.

I learned how to live with another person I just met, and I faced all of the challenges that comes along with that. Although at times it was difficult, I faced every situation like a mature adult and never ran away from the problems at hand. I have made some great friends and share great memories with them, even if at times we didn't see eye-to-eye.

I've learned, the hard way, that I wasn't as academically-equipped as I thought I was. My classes were hard, and time management is a skill that I didn't have coming into school in August. I had to try really hard to catch up in my classes, learn the proper way to write an academic essay, and truly manage my time wisely. By learning my weaknesses, I was able to start correcting them and learning from them.

These last few months showed me what it means to be free without any limits, but with freedom comes responsibility. I learned it was important to get out of bed and to go class, even if I really didn't feel like it. It’s not like high school where you could miss a week of school and still have an A in all of your classes. I successfully learned how to balance all of my coursework and achieve on my own.

When this semester ends, I will have attended a Mets game, a Rangers vs. Islanders game, a Broadway show, Blue Man Group, and the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Going to school just twelve miles from midtown Manhattan really does have its advantages.

Despite the rough moments, lack of sleep, hours of homework/studying, and the times that I wanted to pull all my hair out this semester, I would never want to redo it. I'm thankful for everyone who has supported me, and for all of the care packages my mom sent me. I'm looking forward to the start of the spring semester where new memories, opportunities, and lessons await me.