16 Reasons Why Life Is Exactly Like A YA Novel

29
usnews.com

I've been told time and time again, as I'm sure most people have, that life is not a fairytale. You won't wake up someday and be swept away by a handsome prince and live a carefree princess lifestyle. Life isn't going to be like the stories in Young Adult novels, the ones filled with smoldering vampires, heroes leading a revolution, the brainy girl who gets the most popular guy in school. It just doesn't work out that way. Yet sometimes... it does. Here are sixteen reasons why life is exactly like a Young Adult (YA) novel.

1. Marrying your best friend is common.

There are always the two characters you root for. Whether you're Team Gale or Team Peeta, you want the main character to end up with the person she's meant to be with. Usually, this is the best friend. Marrying your best friend happens in real life all the time because they're your person.

2. You will have heartbreak.

This is pretty much guaranteed. There will be breakups, and makeups, and backstabbing friends. It's just all a part of being a teenager. No matter how intense the heartbreak is, be like Clem from "Unbreak My Heart" by Melissa Walker, who suffered from a best friend choosing a boy over her, and find a way to move on from drama in your life.

3. You will also have a first love.

Sometimes first loves are only loves. There are countless stories out there about two people who found each other at a young age and never wanted to be with anyone else. It happens. However, most of the time, first loves come into your life to leave an impact. They show you how to love and be loved, but the love doesn't often stay. Take Katherine in "Forever" by Judy Blume. She had everything a first love is supposed to be, until she decided she didn't want it anymore.

4. There is always someone who doesn't feel like they fit in.

No matter if you are in high school, college or even out in the real world working a full time job, there is always going to be somebody who feels like an outcast. Plenty of YA novels touch on this subject from "Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chobosky to "Lock and Key" by Sarah Dessen there are always stories about teenagers trying to find their place in life. Feeling like you don't belong is just an opportunity to figure out where you do belong.

5. There is always someone trying to fit in.

You will always find the person doing everything they can to make sure they "fit in" with the crowd. Whether it's the popular groupie who wants to join in at the cool lunch table or the people who change their looks just because other people do. Look at "The Clique" series by Lisi Harrison. Claire struggles to fit in with the in crowd. It's a pretty common theme in most real life high schools.

6. You'll always have the person who stands out of the crowd.

You know the one person who tends to wear dramatic clothing or out of this world hairstyles and totally rock it? Happens in real life, not just the books. "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli is all about being different from the crowd and embracing it. Don't be a follower, wear and do what makes you happy. As Dr. Seuss said: "Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"

7. Teens are standing up for what they believe in.

You hear about this more and more everyday. Young adults standing up for what they believe in by creating their own businesses or starting campaigns against bullying and discriminating dress codes in schools. They might not be exactly like Tris from "Divergent" and lead a revolution against society, but they're making a difference in the world. Jazz Jennings is a transgender teen who advocates for trans awareness. She has her own show on TLC now and doesn't need a "girl on fire" cape to let the world know that she's fighting for what she believes in.

8. Be aware of mental health.

Mental health is a prominent topic these days. So many people struggle with depression, OCD, bipolar disorder and so much more. Having main characters in books such as "13 Reasons Why"by Jay Asher and "It's Kind of A Funny Story"by Ned Vizzini go through the process of living with a mental illness brings awareness to teenagers that their classmates might be going through the same thing. Books like the ones stated above go into great detail about what living with a mental illness is really like, and some characters overcome it just like real life.

9. Sometimes the popular boy and geeky girl do end up together

High school is a blip in life. It might seem like forever, it sure did to me, but it's only a few years. Who you are in high school won't define you. It doesn't matter if you were the type of person to bury your head in school books or play football and attend keg parties on the weekends. Once you graduate, there's a whole new world of possibilities and your soulmate could be the person you never looked twice at in school. Look at Bianca and Wesley from "The Duff" by Kody Keplinger. Those two had to look past stereotypes to realize that they were meant to be.

10. You can get through the toughest of times if you believe.

Now hopefully the world isn't in an apocalyptic state and you need to ensure the survival of yourself and little kids like in "Monument 14" by Emmy Laybourne, but YA books today promote getting through hard times. No matter what the situation is, alien takeover, natural disasters, marooned on a deserted island, if you trust yourself and your instincts you can make it through. Keep that in mind with finals approaching.

11. Figure out who you really are.

Growing up is about figuring out who you are and what you want. Typical coming of age stories are prevalent throughout YA novels because it's something every teenager goes through. Who am I? What do I want to do with the rest of my life? Sometimes you have to question everything you know about life like CeCe does in "Keeping You a Secret" by Julie Anne Peters. YA books are just like real life with their soul searching characters, because who hasn't questioned who they want to become?

12. Adventure is always out there.

Road trips with best friends are pretty much a rite of passage. Yet, adventure can be anything from traveling to a new country or trying something new like a folk festival. Adventure is just a part of life and while it doesn't have to be as elaborate as a quest such as in "13 Little Blue Envelopes" by Maureen Johnson, it could be something as simple as sharing a favorite pair of jeans with your BFFs.

13. Life throws out big changes.

Changes always happen in life. It could be moving across country because of a parent's job or a death in the family rocks you to the core. It might not be finding out you're a princess like Mia in "The Princess Diaries"by Meg Cabot. Or discovering you're pregnant with your deceased boyfriend's kid in "Someone Like You" by Sarah Dessen. Most likely it'll be heading off to college, moving out or landing your dream job, though there can be negative changes as well. Like the two characters, you'll handle the changes life gives you and take things step by step. It's all about learning how to deal.

14. Fight for the ones you love.

Don't sit back and wait for people to come to you. Fight for them. Make a point to show them you care. From parents to siblings to previous relationships, if the person is worth it to you, fight. For example, In "Matched" by Allie Condie, the main character fights to have the boy she loves. If they are worth it, don't sit idle, do something about it.

15. Parents can be frustrating.

There are always the parents in books we like to hate. The ones who disapprove of the child's significant other or are extremely unreasonable when it comes to rules. The parents in "Shiver"by Maggie Stiefvater are absentee until their daughter starts dating and then they are extremely over protective. It's a reoccurring theme in YA books, which actually resembles life quite well. Teenagers always think they have unreasonable parents no matter what the circumstance is. Most of the time they are doing what they feel is best yet it is still frustrating.

16. Everything will work out in the end.

This doesn't mean everything has a happy ending. Of course not. Things happen and sometimes it's not the way you planned. Although, as every YA book shows, things work out. The battle is either won or lost, the relationship is either broken or repaired. So take it from YA novels and don't stress. Everything will work out how it's supposed to.