Re-Learning

Re-Learning

A Week Without My Arm

12
Re-Learning
Dreamstime.com

Relearning things you used to know is hard, time consuming and frustrating to say the least. For most of my life I learned to do everything with two hands and daily tasks were taken for granted. However, over the past week I have been told that from a repetitive motion injury there is nothing that can be done for my arm besides not using it fully for one week. It of course being my dominate hand and only been three days I have grown to respect those who lose the limbs they have grown up with. Even though I do not have my arm for a week there are countless people who have lost their legs and arms for a lifetime. Basic tasks leave me frustrated and uninterested. Tasks such as eating, which seems to be basic until you attempt to do it with your non dominate hand. Others such as driving, brushing your teeth or getting changed. All of these tasks have come to annoy me to the point of interest, along with work which I am not able to perform to the best of my ability for. The worst part of this week will be not being able to hand wright, although typing is of course a challenge too but one that is easily overcome unlike the rest I will face. Being told that you have to cut out a piece of you, one that you are so used to even for a week is hard to hear. In this world where you have to have a mindset of always doing something even to the point of overdoing to succeed. There are a few things that I hope to learn from this week of “rest”. Patience is the first one, slowing down and teaching myself how to do simple tasks throughout the day with my left hand. As well as not to overwork myself for the rest of summer. As a college student summer is the only there to make money and rest until the school year hits you like a ton of bricks. However, my summer was filled with two jobs six days a week and bed at three am to do it all over again until midnight the next day. With a little time for what I love most, netflix. Even though I will still be focused on school there is a time and a place for how much I need to push myself for the rest of summer. I hope that this week goes by quickly. Wishing the best of luck for those who have lost their limbs for days, weeks or even the rest of their lives. Re learning is not easy to say the least, but it is do able and all worth it in the end.