Radio Killed These Once Catchy Songs (Well... Maybe Not All Catchy, But You Get My Point)

Here are 20 hit songs that I either loved or found to be tolerable, but due to their constant exposure on mainstream rock or pop radio stations, I now change the dial every time I hear them
70

I usually never have the urge or desire to listen to mainstream radio (because honestly why would I?). The main reason is due to the many annoying things about it which includes playing the same song at least once everyday, killing the quality or credibility of a certain tune, and never playing anything new. However, there are some days where I have no choice but to turn it on, particularly when I'm driving in the car on my way to work (thanks in part to my vehicle not possessing an auxiliary cable for my IPod). So with that being said, here is a list of hit songs that I think radio has killed due to their continuous airplay throughout the five plus years that these songs have been around.

20. Nickelback- "Photograph"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photograph_(Nickelback_song)

"Look at this photograph/Every time I do it makes me laugh." Oh wow nice! You know what makes me laugh Chad Kroeger? The fact that I at one point took you guys seriously as a band and loved this song. Boy, I wish I could get those years back and erase those thoughts from my memory. Now, while I don't consider Nickelback to be an absolutely horrible group, I sure as hell think they are an annoying one. I could have put other terribly cheesy Nickelback songs on this list like "Far Away," "Rockstar," "How You Remind Me," and "Gotta Be Somebody," but "Photograph" is my least favorite of the bunch and the most overplayed Nickelback song in my opinion. If a station decides to play this, I turn it off right away.

19. Linkin Park- "In The End"

https://genius.com/Linkin-park-in-the-end-lyrics

While this was the song that got me into Linkin Park back in my middle school days (as I'm sure it did the same thing for many more young teenage boys during the early to mid-2000s), "in the end" (haha get it? I know that was cheesy but I couldn't help it), the radio has played this song so much that every time it enters my eardrums, I have no choice but to change the dial to a different station because it is that annoying to me. Yes, I know this is the nu-metal/rap rock band's most successful song to date as it hit number two on the Billboard charts, but can we please give it a rest from the radio airwaves for a bit? No? Well then, I guess I'll have to watch it burn to smithereens, if it hasn't already.

18. Katy Perry- "Firework"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firework_(song)

Baby, this song isn't a firework anymore. It lost its spark a loooong time ago. I have never been a fan of Katy Perry and I could have put "Anything by Katy Perry" for this part of the list since most of her songs (besides "California Gurls" and "Last Friday Night (TGIF)," which are songs by her that I actually like) are corny pop anthems. However, this song by Ms. Perry is an absolute disaster due to it's silly lyrics, generic instrumental, and the fact that it is her most played song on the radio. Therefore, I believe that this song has died and lost its quality and appeal, if it even had any to begin with, and it needs to be removed from all popular music stations before I come down to all of their studios and remove it myself (of course I'm kidding, but I wish I could).

17. Eminem- "Love The Way You Lie" ft. Rihanna

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_the_Way_You_Lie

It really is a shame that this was actually the first Eminem song that I ever liked because when I got older and checked out his earlier work, I was like, "Why didn't I ever listen to this stuff sooner?," because despite how vulgar the lyrics tend to be, at the end of the day he is an outstanding songwriter." Now, I actually still have a soft spot for this song since it was the first one I had ever heard by Slim Shady, and I can still rap his entire part in the track. However, it isn't a song by the rapper that I will go to right away if I want to listen to any of his music, partially thanks to the large amount of airplay it gets on pop radio stations. I mean come on, I would listen to "The Real Slim Shady" and "Without Me" before this tune any day.

16. Panic! At The Disco- "I Write Sins Not Tragedies"

http://www.onlinedrummer.com/sheet-music/i-write-s...

Well, this one should be simple. First song I ever loved by Panic! and now sadly this is my least favorite song by Panic! Why is that? It's because I hear this song on pop stations pretty much every time I turn on the radio, which is actually upsetting since it is a nicely structured pop rock tune. Now, I'm not saying that I don't sing along to it when I hear it on the radio, because Panic! At The Disco is one of my favorite bands and it is a classic of theirs. But since I am such a big fan of this group, I know that they have put out more quality songs than this one. So, while this song was responsible for putting them in the spotlight, it is also the track that most of the time makes my eyes roll every time I hear it. I wish radio would literally "close the g***damn door" on playing this song, but that might not ever happen.

15. Eagles- "Hotel California"

http://thisdayineagleshistory.blogspot.com/2011/05...

Before I say anything about this song that might possibly tick you off, I want to let you all know that I love the Eagles and they are without a doubt one of my top five favorite classic rock bands of all time. However, "Hotel California" is one of those songs that I have a love/hate relationship with because while it is a great rock tune, it has gotten so much praise through the many years it has been around to the point where it gets played on mainstream rock stations at least once every day, and I literally hate that about it. As an overall song, I absolutely love the acoustic guitar solo that Glenn Frey plucks out at the beginning of the song and the sick electric guitar solo that Don Felder plays from the middle of the song and all the way to the end. It really is a shame that the radio has made me dislike this song instead of loving it. But if I continue to hear this constantly on mainstream rock waves, my appreciation for this song is going to continue dropping. Love the song but radio has both killed and burnt it out.

14. Queen- "We Will Rock You"/"We Are the Champions"

http://www.queenvault.com/wearethechampionssingle....

What I said about "Hotel California" and the Eagles is really the same thing I will say about "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions" and Queen. Queen is one of those bands that I respect so much based on the innovations they made to add the elements and sounds of classical music to rock and helped create the genre that would be popularized as progressive rock, or "prog rock." Not to mention that along with their creative ways and ideas, they had the man who I consider to be not only the greatest singer in the history of rock but the history of music in general, Mr. Freddie Mercury. However, despite my love and outright appreciation for this outstanding band, these two songs right here are ones that I can't stand to listen to anymore because of the amount of airplay they receive on radio waves. They don't seem to connect with me as well as they did when I was just starting to get into classic rock, even with the amount of praise and recognition they get and without a doubt wholeheartedly deserve. Now, I realize that I could have put other songs such as "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Somebody to Love" on this list because they are considered to be Queen tunes that are overplayed on the radio as well. But the reason I didn't is because despite the amount of times that those songs have been played over and over, I don't find myself wanting to switch to a different station or turning my radio off due to how addicting and outstandingly brilliant those two songs are. Sadly, that can't be said about "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" simply because they have been rocking my head a bit too much through the years to where I'm filled with annoyance and can't give them as much time of day anymore.

13. Beyoncé- "Irreplaceable"

https://genius.com/Beyonce-irreplaceable-lyrics

I'm actually not going to lie, this was one of my jams way back in the day during my grade school years. I can remember my first time hearing Beyoncé singing the "To the left, to the left/To the left, to the left" vocal line at the beginning of this song and trying to create my own moves to it while always pointing my pointer finger to the left. However, thanks to good ol' mainstream radio, this song is absolutely insufferable for me to listen to anymore and I turn it off each time I hear it. I would dare say that this song has been played out more than "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)," and radio has seemed to kill that song as well. "You must not know 'bout me/You must not know 'bout me." Well you would happen to be wrong about that Beyoncé, I honestly know too much about you. Especially since you are constantly around the paparazzi and being mentioned in the news everyday. Thanks radio, for taking away the fondness I had and silly dance moves I used to create for this song way back when.

12. Kid Rock- "All Summer Long"

https://www.amazon.com/All-Summer-Long-Kid-Rock/dp...

Now this is one of those songs that I despise not only because of the UNENDING amount of airplay it gets on mainstream pop and rock radio stations, but because it is a generic, unoriginal, and ridiculously silly southern rock song. Now, I've already been annoyed by the amount of times that I've had to hear Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" throughout my life, but for Kid Rock (who is an artist that I actually haven't cared for at all) to release a tune with nearly the same chords and melody line as the southern rock classic makes me hate "All Summer Long" even more. Yes, I realize that Rock says the line "singing "Sweet Home Alabama" all summer long" at the end of the chorus, but that doesn't give him the right to create a melody that is extremely similar to it. I'm sorry Kid Rock, but that just makes you look lazy as a songwriter. Hopefully this song will disappear for good after it experiences a slow and painful death from its continuous appearance on the radio waves.

11. Nelly- "Over and Over" ft. Tim McGraw

https://genius.com/Nelly-over-and-over-lyrics

Oh my god, this song man. I'm actually embarrassed to say that I at one point in my life I actually liked this song. However, that was back when I was still a young boy who was starting to get into music and learn how the world works. Now, I can thankfully say that I am doing well in life so far and that I possess a quite broad and at times "out there" musical taste. With that being said, let me hammer this song in a nutshell. This is by far is one of the most boring mainstream pop songs ever written with a vocal performance by Nelly that sounds like he just woke up from a 12-hour nap and as a result makes me want to go to sleep too, an electric guitar led instrumental that sounds like a generic ringtone found on a prepaid phone, and awkward guest vocal lines from Tim McGraw that sound like he's literally singing while on speaker phone. But you know what makes it worse? After all these years since it came out wayyy back in 2004, mainstream radio stations continue to give this sleeping pill of a song the light of day by playing it as Nelly says, "over and over again." So pop radio stations I'm begging you, please stop playing this song because if you don't I'm going to continue having headaches "over and over again" when I hear it, and we all know that wouldn't be good.

10. Green Day- "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/403424079092834659/

Green Day! You guys are my favorite band of all time. I have grown up with your music through all these years as you are the band that really introduced me to rock music and popular music (along with Maroon 5). However, this song from my favorite album of all time, American Idiot, is the band's highest charting song to date, as well as their most insufferable song in my opinion. Before some of you might get upset with me for saying this, let me just say that first and foremost that I do not hate this song itself as I think it is a painfully emotional tearjerker with very sad lyrics and a powerful melody. The reason why I say that this is insufferable is due to the fact that it (along with "When I Come Around" off of their other classic album Dookie) is played on the radio what seems like EVERY, SINGLE, DAY. I swear every time that I have turned on the radio, this song comes on eventually and has me singing along to it as well as rolling my eyes with annoyance. Billie Joe, Mike, and Tré, I love you guys but can you please tell these mainstream stations to stop beating people over the head with this song? Because I know for sure that you guys are just as annoyed with this tune as I am.

9. Fall Out Boy- "Sugar, We're Going Down"

https://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Were-Goin-Down-Pt-2/d...

While many people would say that Fall Out Boy's most intolerable song is either "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)" or "Uma Thurman," I would have to say that this song right here takes the cake as the band's overexposed song in their discography, which in a way is understandable because it was their "big break" song. Now that this is practically the lone song from the pop punk/pop rock sensation that radio stations seem to play the most, I skip it whenever I decide to delve into the band's outstanding debut album From Under The Cork Tree in 2005 because I feel that I have been beaten over the head by it enough ever since it first came out. Honestly, there is only one point I can make on the future of this song. With the unending airplay that this track is getting and will continue to receive, yeah sugar, this song is going down, and by down I mean wayyyy down.

8. Kelly Clarkson- "Since U Been Gone"

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=479548

Don't get me wrong, I think Kelly Clarkson is one of the two best and most successful singers to win American Idol but my god, I've never been a huge fan of this woman's music at all. While she has a lot of annoying songs out there like "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)," "Breakaway," and "Because of You," this tune by far is the cream of the crop when it comes to her worst songs. One thing I can tell through the years ever since this track came out in 2004 is that mainstream radio stations LOVE this song so much to the point where it makes me sick. I wish this song would be gone but that will most likely never happen and I will be hearing this 50 years from now. However, if the radio was able to make this song go away, my version of it would go like this. "Since you been gone/Nothing has changed," the end.

7. Carrie Underwood- "Before He Cheats"

http://www.coveralia.com/caratulas/Carrie-Underwoo...

Along with Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood is the other singer that I consider to have had a successful career after she won American Idol and I honestly like her a lot better than Clarkson because she has a more unique and recognizable voice in my opinion (and it might also be because I might have a tiny celebrity crush on her too). However, while I do think she is a charismatic and entertaining country singer, I can't stand this song of hers at all, due in part to the overwhelming radio exposure it gets. Sure, it might be a great song about her getting revenge on her boyfriend who is about to cheat on her with another girl. But the main reason why I'm sick of it is because this is the only song of Underwood's that is played on mainstream radio. Maybe that's a good thing, but it would be nice for stations to play more of her songs because other than this overplayed disaster, average mainstream listeners could hear other great songs in her discography. Maybe next time the radio station managers will think before they play this song on their programs again and give me headaches from this track that will last for days.

6. Aerosmith- "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"

http://www.musicstack.com/album/aerosmith/i+don'...

While I do like some of Aerosmith's songs such as "Walk This Way" (both the original and remix they did with the rap group Run-DMC), "Sweet Emotion," and "Dream On," this tune to me is by far the worst hit song of their career. I do know that many thought that they became sellouts once they came back to prominence by making some of the most poppy and unappealing rock music ever made back in the late 1980s and early to mid-1990s, but I consider this song to be the one that truly killed their career and made them a "sellout band," and it's not only because this song was on the soundtrack of a mediocre movie in Armageddon. If you want proof of that, look at the little amount of success they had after this dumpster fire of a song. Only three studio albums (one of which was full of blues rock covers, so Honkin' on Bobo doesn't even really count) and one top 10 hit in "Jaded" off their 2001 album Just Push Play. So, yeah their career as a band has definitely gone downhill since this track was released and proves that they are sellouts. Steven Tyler sang in this song about how he doesn't want to miss a thing, but when this song is being played and played on mainstream radio I want to miss the whole freaking thing, meaning the entirety of this embarrassment of a tune.

5. Journey- "Don't Stop Believin'"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Stop_Believi...

Oh I love Journey to death. They released some great rock tunes over the years with "Faithfully," "Escape," "Stone in Love," "Any Way You Want It," and "Wheel in the Sky" and I have always considered them to be one of the best rock bands of the 1980s. Also, they possessed one of the greatest vocalists of all time in Steve Perry, but let's face it, "Don't Stop Believin'" is one of the most overplayed songs in history. I used to love this song so much as a kid and rock out to it all the time with my grandpa, but over time this track has become so stale to me and has lost the credibility it once had in my eyes as one of the best rock songs of all time. So, even though I don't want to stop believing that this song is an American anthem and an absolute classic, the amount of times I have to hear it on rock radio sadly keeps drawing me to the dark side.

4. Celine Dion- "My Heart Will Go On"

https://genius.com/Celine-dion-my-heart-will-go-on...

This is one of those songs that I've heard so much and sadly know the lyrics to so well, thanks to the radio, that when it's played I know exactly when to run away from it. That part is right when the flute solo kicks in, which is basically my conscience telling me to "turn that crap off." All I know is due to the amount of airplay that this song has gotten thanks to the popularity of the 1990s film Titanic, I have developed a theory. Instead of Celine Dion saying that she sees a boy in her dreams, I have nightmares about seeing her in concert for the rest of my life while having to watch her perform this track every time during that show. I know that it's only a bad dream, but man if I had to do something as insane as that in real life, I don't think that I could ever make that work. Nothing against Dion as she is a very talented singer with a beautiful voice, but this song will continue to drive me insane the more I hear it, and not in a good way. The seriousness and emotion that this tune used to carry with it back in the 1990s has disappeared and I think the radio will be taking it to its death bed if it hasn't already.

3. Lynyrd Skynyrd- "Sweet Home Alabama"

http://teamrock.com/feature/2014-04-07/the-story-b...

"Big wheels keep on turning." Yeah no kidding, those wheels have been turning for the last 40+ years, and I honestly don't know when they will come to a stop. I find Lynyrd Skynyrd to be a band that had so much potential and promise to be the greatest southern rock act of all time. Sadly, the infamous plane crash of 1977 that took the lives of their late great lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, and female backup singer Cassie Gaines hurt the band's chances and it kept them from living up to the hype that was placed on them in the beginning. It's not so much that I hate "Sweet Home Alabama," but it upsets me that rock radio stations will play this song, but I never hear their other timeless hits such as "Humble Man," "Tuesday's Gone," "Gimme Three Steps," and the absolute classic "Free Bird" at any time of day, which is a darn shame in my opinion. It also didn't help that Kid Rock had to release the song "All Summer Long," which basically ripped off this tune's melody and was an overall forgettable song. While I do admit that this track is a staple of popular music in America, it is also one of the most overplayed songs ever that contains a guitar lick which I can both appreciate and can't stand at the same time, if that even makes sense.

2. KISS- "Rock and Roll All Nite"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_All_Ni...

Overrated (clap clap, clap clap clap)... Overrated (clap clap, clap clap clap). Okay, maybe that was a bit too harsh to say because KISS was revolutionary as they were the first massive band to incorporate glam and fashion into rock music with their black and white face paint along with their dark and outlandish costumes, (which of course would later go on to influence and bring about the popular glam rock and hair metal bands of the 1980s and early '90s). In addition, they had a hand in popularizing the selling of merchandise too by putting their brand name on everything from doll action figures of the band members to freaking coffins!

However, despite the large amount of innovations and changes they made in the rock world, I have always thought of their music as being sub-par and mediocre at best. I say this because it seems that throughout the group's career, they have tended to be more of a "business band" than an actual rock band, meaning that they focus more on the sales and profits they make from their merchandise instead of on the value and quality of their music. Therefore, I would say "Rock and Roll All Nite" is one of the most overrated, annoying and repetitive songs of all time mainly because repeating the chorus "I wanna rock and roll all night and party everyday" can get annoying pretty quickly. Nothing against KISS and their fans because I will say that they have some great songs like "Detroit Rock City" and "Shout it Out Loud," as well as the ability to put on one hell of a live show, but thanks to rock radio, I find this song to be absolutely unbearable. Sorry.

1. Pink Floyd- "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)"

https://midnightpunk.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/pink...

I apologize to the legendary band that is Pink Floyd, but this in my opinion is the most overplayed song in the history of mainstream radio and that's not surprising since it is the most radio-friendly tune that the band ever made. However, despite how much I can't stand hearing this song thanks to the overwhelming amount of airplay it gets, I still think that this song contains one of the greatest guitar riffs and bass lines in the history of rock music, which is without a doubt why it gets as much praise as it does and rightfully deserves. But one of the biggest reasons why it's impossible for me to listen to this song anymore is because it came off of what I consider to be the greatest concept album of all time which has many more greater and well-thought out songs on it such as "Run Like Hell," "Mother," "Hey You" "In the Flesh," and of course the classic "Comfortably Numb." So, while I do appreciate the band (as they are one of the greatest and most important groups in the history of rock) and the significance of this song, I wish good riddance to it as well because mainstream radio has forced it to lose all the quality of what made it great and ABSOLUTELY KILLED IT FOREVER!