Qualities Of 2017

Qualities Of 2017

Who I Desire to Be in the Next 365 Days

18
Qualities Of 2017
Happy New Year

At the beginning of every year, I make a list of (somewhat) reasonable resolutions or goals that I hope to accomplish throughout the 365 days I have. This year, instead of listing actual tasks, I decided to list qualities or aspects of my life that I hope to strengthen in order to be the best I can be. So, in honor of 2017, here are 17 qualities I'd love to have.

1. Assertiveness

This will be the year that I won't be considered "too nice." I vow to fight for what I want to do, or even what I don't want to do. I'm my own individual person with my own unique thoughts which others can respect.

2. Creativity

This will be the year that I step out of my comfort zone completely, whether it be through a fun hair color or different makeup technique. Creativity makes life less mundane and more exciting, and I want to step away from the norm of routine each day.

3. Impulsiveness

Linked to creativity, I don't want to over-analyze each decision before I make it. If I want to travel somewhere new, I want to book that flight. If I want to try a new class over the summer, I want to instantly enroll. You never know until you try.

4. Compassion

As humans, we tend to think of ourselves first, and often disregard what others may be experiencing. This year, I want to put myself in others' shoes when I can in order to best understand how they may be feeling or acting, and how I can help.

5. Faith

Being busy 99.9% of my time, my religion typically takes a backseat to the rest of my life. 2017 will be the year for me to make sure faith is a part of my life, whether it be a simple prayer in the morning or mass each weekend.

6. Advocacy

As an adult, I have started to form my own thoughts and opinions on different topics in our society. This will be the year I advocate and spread the word about what I believe. Chances are, I will find others who share what I think as well.

7. Forgiveness

I am someone who holds grudges. I can't help it. But, this year, I want to make sure I can forgive others who have made an honest mistake and are apologetic for it.

8. Service

I want to continue to put others before myself when I can. This year, I will be returning to Tijuana, Mexico, for a week of volunteering, but I also want to incorporate additional, larger acts of service in my life.

9. Humor

I want 2017 to be the year I laugh often, so hard tears stream down my face and destroy my makeup. Multiple times.

10. Organization

As a college student (who is graduating in a year; omg!) this quality is so important to my functioning. I vow to keep everything color-coded and alphabetically organized in 2017. Because who would I be if I didn't.

11. Kindness

This characteristic can often seen as cliche, but I want to keep spreading kindness not only around my college community, but to someone I meet each day. Who knows, my simple smile or wave might brighten their otherwise bad day.

12. Dedication

Being in a variety of organizations on my campus has taught my the value of being dedicated to a group. Throughout 2017, I want to give my all for every one of these clubs, making sure I put my best foot forward for each.

13. Perseverance

Humans aren't perfect, so I know I will mess up at some point along the next week, day, or even hour. However, despite this, I want to keep trying and striving to be the best version of myself.

14. Listening

As a person who can be extremely extroverted at times, I want to also lend a listening ear throughout 2017. Sometimes, it may be best to sit back and hear what others think or believe.

15. Uncertainty

2017 will be the year I make the decision about my future after undergraduate education. While this decision is important, I also hope to remember that feeling unsure and uncertain about which path to take is okay.

16. Friendship

My friends and family make up the backbone of who I am. This year, I desire to meet others who will bring out the best in me, as well as rekindle those friendships that may have been lost along the way.

17. Love

Love is a feature linked to my faith, my friendships, and even my perseverance. I want 2017 to be the year I love those around me faithfully and without fear. Love everyone as how you want to be loved.