Why It's Important To Have A Purposeful Meaning in Your Life

Is the glass half full or half empty?

29

Over the years, I have conjured this fascination and appreciation of the concept of time. How does it work, and who made the rule that there are only twenty four hours in one day? How is this fair? What if I wanted more? That is called the next day, or, as I think of it now, a clean slate or blank page in a chapter of my life. Each day I see as a new opportunity to make a difference or create a change. Time, I have learned, is something to never take for granted, that is why today is called the present- because it is a gift.

So, what does it mean to feel in between, lost in the Milky Way, drifting about aimlessly? Stars just float about chit chatting, not a worry on their minds. As time passes by, they just stand still and admire who glows brighter, not realizing how insignificantly minuscule they are compared to the rest of the universe. In a way, we are like these stars, just waiting around, dwelling on stresses that won’t matter four years down the road and comparing ourselves to each other, measuring success on materialistic objects, such as looks and money.

To avoid turning into these so called ‘stars’ I speak of, I have changed my mindset to think as if each day is my last. What would I do today if I didn’t have a tomorrow? To think half glass full and try to be as positive as possible in any situation presented to you is definitely a challenge, but worth it.

With time, there is the concept of the middle, or a place where most of us feel lost. But why is it that middle-ness is associated with fear? Being in this area of in between is something that we as humans avoid speaking about. Hitting the midlife crisis is a good example of this. It is a time period in one’s life when they have hit their fifties and experience a sense of loss and confusion. Usually, one feels they don’t know their purpose or identity, and has a sense of urgency that they are failing due to half their life being over and not knowing all the answers to their questions yet.

The issue with the idea of the midlife crisis is that it is not only for individuals in their fifties. I personally believe we all have thesecrises of not knowing the impossible, aka the future. I have experienced moments where I feel on top of the world, and the glass is overflowing with joy and success. Then I have days where I feel like I am stuck in a pit or have been kicked to the side of the road. This is life though. I have always loved comparing life to a rollercoaster ride; it will have its highs and it will have its lows.

What I think is the key to finding your purpose in life is to know that your path is going to look very different than your neighbors. It is going to have unexpected turns, it will have bumps, and it also might be being built at a offbeat rate. But know that is OKAY. It is okay to feel lost. I encourage you to embrace it since in the moments we least expect success or happiness are when it hits us.

The most important thing to remember is try not to look too far into the future and worry about ‘what if’s’. Also, try not to dwell on the past and think of what you could have done. Stay in the moment and focus your energy on the NOW. You're living in the present, so why not be present? Finding your purpose won’t be a destination, but instead a journey, so enjoy the ride of life because you only have one ticket, so spend it wisely.