10 Ways to Pull Yourself Out of a Funk
Mental Health

10 Ways To Pull Yourself Out Of A Funk

I know you're drowning, but just keep swimming.

291
10 Ways To Pull Yourself Out Of A Funk
Taylor Henderson

A few ways to help you get through the day:

1. Get out of bed.

I know that the only thing you want to do today and every day is lie in bed. Many people-myself included-get stuck in a routine of avoiding getting out of bed as much as possible. Done with class? Back to bed. Done with work for the day? Back to bed.

Although I am all for getting a healthy amount of sleep, oversleeping is a real problem. When you're constantly feeling fatigued, all you want to do is sleep. You have to start with the basics first: try to sit up. Initiate the first step to getting out of bed. Get yourself motivated with a routine, only allow yourself to lay in bed for a specific time amount after your alarm goes off. Give yourself 10 minutes to sit on your phone and check out the latest and greatest cat videos on Facebook (okay maybe 15 minutes).

Make a list of the goals that you want to fulfill the next day or write down things that you are grateful for before you go to bed. As pointless as it may seem, those things that you are grateful for may get you out of bed when the light at the end of the tunnel seems so distant.

2. Get that serotonin goin.

You may be lacking in your dear friend Sarah Tonin. Serotonin, a neurotransmitter and hormone manufactured in the brain, is sometimes known as the "happy chemical." This hormone helps regulate your mood, social behavior, and sexual desire. Some ways to increase your Serotonin levels include exercise, a brain-healthy diet, and dietary supplements. Foods high in simple carbohydrates, yes your pastries from Starbucks, typically increase insulin levels and allow the building block for serotonin to enter the brain.

On the other hand, complex carbohydrates can be seen as the "healthier" way to boost serotonin. Furthermore, Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) increase the levels of Serotonin in the brain. Medication shaming is so last year...ask your doctor if SSRIs may be an effective option for you.

3. Oxytocin will help your mojo.

Oxytocin is a powerful hormone in the brain that acts as a neurotransmitter. It's sometimes known as the "cuddle hormone" or the "love hormone" because Oxytocin levels increase with human interaction and affection. This powerful hormone is associated with feelings of bonding and well-being. For whoever needs to hear this, stop isolating yourself from the people who love and care about you. Even though you may feel like you are burdening them with how you are feeling, they want to hear about it and help you through this. With that being said, cuddle party?

4. Music therapy.

What's your go-to playlist when you're feeling down? Whether it's "Take Care" or "How to Save a Life," turn on that playlist and let the feels rush through. Contrary to popular belief, it is okay not to be okay. It is okay to have feelings. It's okay to cry. We are all human with extremely complex emotions that are sometimes explained through music. The connection that you may feel with that specific song or experience can help you identify with those emotions.

Sometimes you just need a really good cry session and then you realize that you are an incredible human being and that things will get better. There are limits to this though, use this as a technique to let your emotions out but don't let it consume you. Give in to it and allow yourself to explore those feelings, for a time.

5. Appreciate the small victories.

Even if all you did today was get out of bed, pat yourself on the back. Even if all you did today was finally do the laundry that you have been putting off for a few weeks, be proud of yourself. Sometimes things that may seem very minuscule to others may feel like pulling teeth to you. When you're in a funk and finally get a rush of energy or motivation to get stuff done, go get it done. It's okay if all you did today was survive.

At the end of the day, you need to tell yourself that even if you didn't accomplish everything that you have planned to, the sun will rise and you will have another chance tomorrow. If no one else told you today, I am so proud of you.

6. Be aware of your surroundings.

Seeing children playing or laughing can be a great reminder of the joy that this beautiful life brings. Sit and people watch in a busy park or area on campus. Make some time in your day to go watch that sunset, they are proof that no matter what happened that day, each day can end beautifully. I can't tell you how many times that I have been in a bad place where watching the sunset has helped me gain perspective. Smile at that stranger as they walk by because just as bad as you may need a smile or sense of hope, someone else may too.

7. Put down those devices and unplug.

Connect with people in real life, not on social media. Stop comparing your circumstances with those of the celebrities that you see on social media. These celebrities are fighting their own battles that they may not make public, so don't assume that their lives are so much better. The grass is not always greener on the other side. Social media can be a toxic place if you let it consume you. Get outside and appreciate the beauty of the world around you and not the beauty that you see online.

8. Take in those rays.

A culprit of the funk that you're in may be lack of Vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is extremely common during the winter time, hence why seasonal depression is more common in colder geographical areas. A quick fix could be taking Vitamin D supplements or increased exposure to sunlight. Light therapy is also an option, such as the HappyLight. Light therapy lamps emit a bright white light that mimics sunlight but do not necessarily increase Vitamin D production. In addition, light therapy can improve mood and energy levels by triggering the release of serotonin. Lastly, light therapy can improve sleep patterns and focus by resetting your circadian rhythm and regulating melatonin, a hormone that plays a role in sleep.

9. Invest in therapy.

Personally, I think that every single person in the world could benefit from therapy. Contrary to the belief that therapy is only for those with a diagnosed mental illness, therapy is for everyone, even the happy ones. In therapy, an individual can learn how to be the happiest, most productive, best version of themselves. Even though you can talk to your BFFS about the issues that you're working through, therapists are totally unbiased. Your best friend may be biased to tell you what you want to hear, while a therapist's job is to reserve judgment. Furthermore, therapy can help you compartmentalize. When you're in a funk, your negative thoughts and stressors feel like they are constantly there lurking in your brain. Devoting a specific amount of time to therapy can teach your brain that it doesn't have to stress all the time because you have already designated a time to talk about it. Going to therapy is healthy and normal, I promise that it doesn't make you crazy. My therapist has helped me grow in ways that my friends and family could have never.

10. Be patient.

I know this time can be frustrating and feel like it's never going to end. I know that it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know that it is exhausting to feel like you are surviving and not truly living. I know that some days you may feel like your life may never get better. You need to be patient because healing is not linear. There may be days that you make two steps forward, and the next day you feel like you took three steps backward. You'll have good days and you'll have bad days.

Despite all of this, it does get better. It may be stormy now, but it never rains forever. I know it may not seem like it, I know that all too well. Don't beat yourself up, don't hurt yourself, don't hold it in, don't hide the way that you are feeling. Repeat after me: "my current situation is not my final destination."