The Do's And Don't Of Chipotle

The Do's And Don't Of Chipotle

Let's TACO bout Chipotle etiquette

8313
The Do's And Don't Of Chipotle
Time

I hope you're not hungry, because this article is sure to set off some irresistible burrito cravings!

Chipotle Mexican Grill is a crowd favorite, and it has been for years. You really can't beat a massive burrito bowl for just $8, especially when all the ingredients are organic and locally produced. It's a place that Moe's and Qdoba strive to be better than, but never really make the cut. We all know that even in light of recent events, we'll always stay loyal to Chipot-bae.

Countless Chipotle employees have been asked and approached about their work experience, what goes on behind the scenes, and what some of their craziest customer stories are. Here's their inside scoop of fresh guacamole: The pro tips list of how to not look like a rookie next time you walk through those Chipotle doors. 5 Do's and 10 Dont's when you get up to the line.

Do's:

1. Make the Chipotle App your best friend.

First of all, nobody likes that guy who comes in with a sheet of paper that has everyone's specific orders sloppily written out for him to order. It takes way longer to get done than necessary, and nine times out of ten he's going to mess up somewhere along the way and have to start over. Chipotle created a way to trump this problem: you can order your food online or on their app, and the best part is you don't even have to wait in line! Unfortunately, some people are still too stubborn and come in with that dreadfully long list of orders.

2. Get a little extra of your favorite ingredients.

Chipotle is famous for those huge portions of food, but if you have a particular part of your order that you just can't get enough of, ask for more of it! You can get an extra helping of almost all items on the service line for free, including: rice, beans, fajita vegetables, salsas, sour cream, cheese, and lettuce. You can even get a side tortilla or taco shells, free of charge!

3. Ask for extra hidden ingredients to enhance and perfect your order.

A bunch of Chipotle's ingredients aren't even in sight when you go through the line. Here are some things you can get on the side, for free, that can make your burrito or bowl taste even better: lemons, limes, honey, oregano, cilantro, jalapeños, and diced onions! (Super Pro Tip: Honey tastes AMAZING on chicken burritos.)

4. Take advantage of free guac.

Guacamole comes with all vegetarian items on the menu, and it doesn't have that bank-breaking price either. If you're a ravenous carnivore like I am, you have to find ways around that extra two dollars. I haven't paid for my guacamole in years! Just be sneaky and find a vegetarian friend who doesn't get guac. Then, at the end of the line, ask the worker to put their free guac on your food. Or you could even get chips and guac for less than half the price! (Trust me, they WILL be okay with this.)

5. Go half and half on your meat.

If you're an indecisive mess like me, Chipotle has an alternative for you! You can get two meats for the price of one. Although the portions are half the normal size, you get some variety. But also: nobody's perfect. Odds are the worker behind the counter will accidentally give you a little more meat than you would have gotten, had you only chosen one kind of meat.

Dont's:

1. Wait until you get to the front of the line to figure out what you want.

More often than not, customers spend their time in line scrolling through newsfeeds or talking to their best friend when they could be deciding what they're going to eat. News flash for those people: Chipotle strategically places their menus high enough so that you can figure this out even from way in the back of the line, so that you're ready to order when you get to the front. The worker at the start of the line and everyone behind you would prefer to go through their day without listening to you go, "Uh.... Um... I think I'll have a...."

2. Order a salad thinking you're taking the healthy route.

People tend to be shocked when they think of the possibility that they can go to Chipotle, and still be healthy. But if you think getting a salad with extra meat, extra cheese, extra sour cream, and two sides of dressing is any healthier than chowing down on a six-pound burrito, you need to go speak to a nutritionist. (Super Pro Tip: The honey vinaigrette dressing has more calories than any other menu item. Over 300 to be more specific. If you actually want a healthy meal, don't get it.)

3. Tune out what the workers are asking you.

The workers making your food usually will ask you questions and communicate with you to make sure they get your order right. They're trained to listen to you, read your body language, and create an extraordinary experience for you. When they ask you a question, listen to what they're saying. They'll probably get really annoyed if they ask, "Corn, sour cream, or cheese?" and you respond with, "No, none of that. But I'll have sour cream and cheese." Um... did you listen to what they just asked you? Do you know how to comprehend english?

4. Ask what the "white stuff" is.

Ok, let's just get one thing settled here. You are at a Mexican-style restaurant and you see a pan full of white, thick liquid. You've only got two options as to what that might be. Oh wait, no you don't. IT'S SOUR CREAM. It's not cream cheese. It's not mayonnaise. And it's definitely not marshmallow fluff. (I'm not joking, one time I heard a guy ask if Chipotle was trying to launch dessert burritos and wondered if the sour cream was marshmallow fluff.)

Customer: "I'll just have the cream cheese and that's it, please."
Sassy Worker: "Alright! Would you like your bagel to be toasted, too?"

5. Ask for queso, ask if you can have queso, or say anything about queso.

Chipotle prides itself on being an all-organic establishment. Queso is the last kind of food I think of when I hear "organic". If you want to put unhealthy, fake cheese in your body, you should have gone to Moe's. As much as we all love it, I really don't think we'll ever live to see the day that queso is introduced to Chipotle.

6. Ask for them to cut your burrito/quesadilla.

I'm going to be honest: you are all grown up, and should be very capable of using the plastic knives found in the dining room. Workers aren't allowed to cut your food with the kitchen knives, so I really doubt they want to take off their apron, go into the dining room to get a plastic knife, and cut your food for you. They aren't your servants. You're a big boy/girl now! (Super Pro Tip: Adult-sized quesadillas aren't on the menu. So just don't order them, thanks!)

Customer: "Can you cut my quesadilla in half?"
Worker: "No, but I can cut you in half."

7. Ask for items out of order.

Do NOT think it is okay to jump from rice to lettuce to beans to cheese to meat. Go in order of what you see on the line. I know this may come as a surprise to you, but I have to burst your bubble: YOU'RE ORDERING CHIPOTLE, NOT PLAYING A GAME OF TETRIS. This is a big tip to keep in mind if you don't want the workers behind the counter to resent you.

8. Get mad when your burrito isn't wrapped to perfection.

Keep in mind that these workers are trained, and they are trained well. They know how to properly wrap a burrito. If it isn't wrapped well, it's your fault about 98 percent of the time. If you get beans, meat, sour cream, and hot sauce and expect that to wrap well, you're living the life of a fool. That's not a burrito. That's soup spilled over a tortilla. Also, don't get a million things inside your tortilla and expect it to all fit. Before you know it your burrito's gonna have more rips than the sails of the Flying Dutchman.

9. Think you're funny or original when you make jokes about E. Coli.

If you're going to complain or poke fun at a serious issue, you can always just go get a less-tasty burrito at Qdoba or Moe's. You'd certainly make the workers happy, because I can guarantee they've heard every possible joke you could make about the recent E. Coli breakout. Chipotle takes more safety precautions than most other food establishments, so to be honest you're probably safer eating there than you are anywhere else. Just keep in mind that the little chuckle you'll get out of them is fueled by their hatred for you. Save the jokes for your friends.

10. Treat the employees like they aren't regular people, too.

They're not dogs. They're not your personal servants. Treat them like regular people, because that's what they are. Chipotle employees can be the kindest, most respectful food service professionals you'll ever encounter, as long as you give them the love and respect they deserve for making your food.

So, now you're ready to go out there and be a Chipotle pro. Swing those doors open and strut up to that line with the zestiest of confidence. Whenever you're feeling unsure, just refer back to this guide for all your answers and advice.