'90s Fashion Sins We All Committed

'90s Fashion Sins We All Committed

#BringBackPlatforms
134

Ahhh, the 1990s. For those of us who were at the height of fashion back in the day, the '90s were a time of some regrettable fashion choices. Looking back on photos of myself taken when I was the coolest middle schooler, I feel bad for making fun of my mother's high cut swimsuit from the '80s. Here are five fashion sins we all committed in the '90s.

1. Super thin eyebrows

Cara Develgine would definitely not have been as popular with her statement brows back in the '90s. It seemed like the beauty law of the land was super-slim, overplucked-and-then-drawn-on eyebrows. This probably wasn't the healthiest trend, and all of us who basically ruined our eyebrows now have to draw them back on with sharpie these days. Thank god this one is gone -- I can't take any more plucking and my wallet is loving the natural eyebrows trend.

2. Spaghetti straps

This was one of those trends that you had to basically beg your mom to let you wear. I was never allowed to wear these to school without a sweater over it. In seventh grade, I was once sent home from school for wearing spaghetti straps, even though I thought I looked amazing. I guess all the boys were way too excited about my beautiful, sexy preteen shoulders.

3. Crop tops 24/7

This was another trend that I begged my mom to wear, except this time I lost. They're definitely back in style now though, so maybe I'll give it another try.

4. Those weird colored sunglasses

What even were these? I remember them being some kind of unholy alliance between regular sunglasses that you might buy at the dollar store and those God awful transitions glasses that my mom made me wear. So much fighting. So much crying. These didn't look good on anybody.

5. So. Much. Glitter.

I'm pretty sure every makeup company operating in the '90s was legally required to add glitter to every one of their products. Every lotion, blush, eye-shadow, mascara, eyeliner, pretty much anything had to have glitter in it. Glitter is like the herpes of the craft world -- you can get it, but once you do, it's pretty much impossible to make it go away.