The Pre-Interview Pep-Talk Everyone Needs

You can do this.

677

So you've got a big interview coming up, huh? Are you nervous? I think it's good to be a little bit nervous. It shows that you care. However, you have to remember to not let the nerves get the best of you! "Interview" is just a fancy word for a conversation that allows you to sell yourself to potential employers. The entire purpose of an interview is to show potential employers that you have everything they want and more, so be confident! Nobody wants to hire someone who doesn't value themselves.

The trick to really nailing an interview is in the preparation. Make sure you do a fair amount of research on the company you're interviewing with. Find their mission statement, and compare how well it matches to your personal beliefs. Look up examples of some of the work that this company has produced, and be able to provide potential ideas you might want to pursue if you earn the position. Showing the interviewer that you have done the work to prepare for your meeting. It shows that you give a damn about getting this job and that you're committed to making a good impression.

If you've never interviewed before, it may help to do a few trials before you jump in head first. Set up a mock interview with someone who has interview experience. It may help if you're close to this person so that you don't feel discouraged if you make a mistake. Remember, practice makes perfect! Don't beat yourself up if you sound nervous or you stumble over your words a bit, that's what practice is for! If you make a mistake, take a deep breath, gather your thoughts, and move on. If you hold onto a minor word-fumble you make at the beginning and let that ruin your whole interview, you're going to be kicking yourself later.

Keep in mind that it's just a conversation. Sometimes it helps me to think of an interview as just a professional conversation with a stranger. The more relaxed and at ease you are, the better you'll interview, I swear. Since interviews are all about the employer getting to know you, it's safe to assume that most of the questions they ask will be about you and some of the work you've done or intend to do. Who do you know better than yourself?! No one. Be sure to review your resume and to be confident in the information you put on there. If you can't think of anything to say, think of your resume and your experiences, professional or not. Talk about things you're passionate about and those feelings will help make the conversation simpler.

My biggest issue when it comes to interviewing is that I get way too hung up on the small mistakes I make. Don't be me!!! Don't let yourself sweat the small stuff! You got the interview because they thought you were qualified enough based off of your application and they want a chance to get to know you. Be yourself and relax. You're going to be just fine.