5 Ways to Practice Self Care

5 Easy ways to Practice Self-Care

Sometimes, you just need to take a step back and focus on yourself.

107
5 Easy ways to Practice Self-Care
Mandy Stacy

When I was growing up, I was constantly told that the more I sacrificed and the harder I worked, the bigger the reward would be. While nothing good comes without hard work, there comes a point where you have to take care of yourself. At the end of the day, what does success really mean if you are overwhelmed and unhappy? This summer, I've been making it a priority to take care of myself, and here are five tips that I have for you to practice self care:

1. Spend 10 minutes writing in a journal

There is something so comforting about taking a few minutes out of your day to just sit down in a bed or a comfy chair and just write. Spill out all of your thoughts and feelings. Don't worry so much about grammar, just write. I usually write in my journal for a few minutes when I first wake up in the morning, but another great time to write is before you go to sleep! I like to write in the morning so that I can reflect on how I'm feeling and set my tone for the day. I personally prefer writing with a pen and paper, but if that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, you could definitely do it on a Google Docs or even on Notes app on your phone! Writing is such an amazing way to clear your mind. Sometimes when you feel really overwhelmed or upset, so spilling your thoughts and feelings onto a sheet of paper is a great way to calm your anxiety.

2. Go outside and go for a walk

There are so many benefits for stepping outside and getting some fresh air! Going outside and getting some exercise is beneficial for both your mental and physical health. You don't have to run six miles or do any sort of crazy work out if you don't want to- just walking or riding your bike on a pretty trail can turn your day around. When you exercise, your brain releases endorphins throughout your brain which lifts your mood. Exercise also releases stress by relaxing your muscles. After being stuck in class all day or in the library for hours, a quick breath of fresh air can truly wake you up and lift your mood!

3. Don't let numbers define you

I think that the most important thing you can do for yourself is to learn that you are not defined by a number. Your GPA, your weight, your height, your body count; they are numbers, but that is ALL they are. They are just numbers, they are NOT who you are. Your GPA does not determine how intelligent you are and your weight does not determine your worth. We live in a world that prioritizes success and perfection so it's easy to get caught up in a mindset that we are a sum total of numbers, however, we are so much more than that: a number does not by any means define you as a person.

4. Keep a clean environment

There's a reason that your mom used to always nag you about keeping your room clean! In a tidy environment, you can focus easier than a floor covered in dirty laundry and clutter! When my room is a mess, so is my life! Try to make your bed every morning and spend a few minutes each day picking up laundry off of the floor and cleaning a little bit. It's amazing how much a clean, organized environment can impact your mood!

5. Learn to put yourself first

There's a fine line between prioritizing your needs and being selfish- it's okay to say no sometimes. It's okay to do what's best for you. It's okay to cut yourself out of toxic relationships. You need to put your own happiness in your hands and just live. Do what you feel is right, what makes you happy. I'm not saying ignore everyone else's feelings, but ultimately you should be living your life and doing things for yourself, not investing in other people's issues and problems so that you completely forget about your own.