Why Derrick Rose Joining The Knicks Was A Power Move

Will this make the Knicks more competitive?

8
Espn Go

Power move: Derrick Rose gets traded to the New York Knicks

Derrick Rose the MVP of the NBA in 2011 became the youngest player to win the Most Valuable Player award, after being a competitive player in the east and playing hard for his home state of Illinois. Rose has accomplished a lot since declaring for the NBA draft after a year at Memphis in which he led the team to the National Championship game in 2008. Then the injuries came into play after an MVP season in 2011. Rose in the first round of the playoffs in 2012 tore his ACL, and in 2013 Rose torn his right meniscus which caused him to miss the remainder of the season.

Over the last few years Rose has missed a lot of playtime due to injuries, but this trade seems to be a win for both sides of the story. Rose gets the opportunity to play with Carmelo Anthony in New York who is a proven leader and scorer that is still hungry for his first NBA championship. On the other side, the Chicago Bulls have the opportunity to build around their rising superstar Jimmy Butler to bring younger and fresh talent into the fold. Over the next few weeks in months it will be interesting to see the talent that the Knicks could continue to add with the talent of Carmelo Anthony and Derrick Rose that could possibly piece together an NBA championship contender team if all can stay healthy and productive.

This trade should make the East seemingly more competitive than in recent years, as Lebron James has been to the NBA finials the last six seasons straight. This much needed trade will make the Knicks better. They've been in desperate need for a point guard that can handle the ball, and that can take the pressure off from Carmelo. Many believe that the Knicks can continue to add talent to their roster, which will in return make them even more competitive toward earning an championship. We will have to see how it all plays out in the offseason.