Harmful Self Micro Managment and Its Power

We All Want to Be the All Powerful Hero But At What Cost?

A piece on breaking down the limits of our power and how abusing can have terrible effects

37
https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-s-playing-chess-1040157/

Power is defined as by the potential to act or create influence over someone or something.

If you ask me, that sounds a lot like telekinesis, which is the ability to control things with your mind, which in my perfect world would mean I wouldn't have to get out of my comfy browsing position on the couch to reach for the tv remote anymore.

But I digress. In my journey as a WGSS minor, we've been taught that power doesn't belong to one particular group of people, but is more of a stronghold held by all people, one that can be manipulated and made to appear as if it belongs to one group of people. And it becomes even more of a problem when one particular group of people or for the purposes I'm discussing at this moment, one person, loses power over themselves, whether it be body or mind or both.

There are several reasons I find this particularly bad or even dangerous when a person's power or ability to make decisions for themselves is threatened. I've personally seen what happens to people who believe they've lost their power and in an attempt to regain a sense of autonomy, end up making decisions that can hurt not only those around them but themselves as well.

A friend of mine got sick, and from talking with them and being around them as they were going through that rough time, I learned a few things. If someone you love is hurting, it is so difficult to be around them and not be able to help.

To not take away their pain.

To not know how to help because hugs only solve so much especially when a person is sick.

To not know how to control your emotions around them because you know it won't help to scream or shout or cry, but it's all you want to do so that maybe they'll understand you. That they'll know that you think they are strong and determined and amazing and need to focus on those aspects to fight through what is probably one of the most difficult times of their life. That everyone around them just wants to help and see them healthy and to get better, even if means being in pain and uncomfortable and unable for now to live like they used to before they got sick.

But I also know that from being around this person how difficult it can be to not be able to do everything you were able to do before, to have less independence and have to wait every day working at getting better and then start over again. It can be frustrating and even the most patient people are going to get frustrated watching what feels like their life being stalled for such a long time and most likely longer into the future.

And sometimes when a person can't control the larger issue that may be affecting them, like for my friend, you try to control as much as possible the small stuff, the things you're not supposed to sweat, simple tasks that can feel a mountain in front of you, but are necessary for getting you on the right track. And all that extra time and effort into trying to control what you can just make you so tired that you may just get so frustrated and upset at those around you.

But if I knew what I know now, I'd definitely go back and try to talk with my friend more and simply support them, and be there for them when they hit those walls. And while every situation is different, I wouldn't hesitate to be as straightforward and frank as I was when my friend first got sick. Maybe it would've made them stronger for what they're going through now.

But you can't change the past, you gotta work at what's happening now and hope that it will still be able to change your future. Even if things seem the like the worst they could possibly be, you can't stop trying. That's a power that anyone has and will continue to have until the end. To just keep trying and doing everything they can, everything that will benefit them and not hurt themselves or others to get better.