Postseason Sadness

Postseason Sadness

I wish we made it to the postseason, but we didn't for a reason.

8593
Postseason Sadness
Nathan Shively

Every person who is involved with athletics wants to make it to the postseason to win the state title. It is the worst feeling in the world when you don’t even make the playoffs. Though making the postseason in sports doesn’t tell you how good or bad yourself, or your team is. It doesn’t show what the team is really capable of.

Since we as a team didn’t make it to the postseason this year I followed the postseason in our class closely due to how bad I wanted to be there playing in it myself. I went to 2 postseason games to watch a team that had beaten us earlier in the year. It was great watching them play so well and make it to the state championship. Though they only ended up as runner ups I couldn’t help but think how bad I wanted to be in there place. I thought about all I would give to be in their place with my brothers by my side. It would’ve been so fun to play in the UNI Dome at least once in my high school career, but I know that everything happens for a reason whether we like it or not. Yes, I wanted to play in the postseason until the very end, but that didn’t happen.

I can’t sit and mope over something that I wished just happened. We had to be the TEAM that wanted it the most if we wanted to be in the postseason. The problem was that we weren’t the team that wanted it most. Maybe a majority of the guys wanted it, but not everybody. People may have said they wanted it when they don’t really care whether we won or lost. You need to have the want and the drive to get where you know you want to be. If you don’t have the want for it then it will never happen because you didn’t go out and make it happen.

I love the team I played on this year and I wouldn’t trade them for the world. I hope they get the chance to play in the postseason next year because it will be the time of their lives. I will miss playing in high school and not getting the chance to play in the UNI Dome but that is what God gave me to work with and because he put me in this situation I know great things are ahead because of his great love.

I love you, LORD, my strength. -Psalm 18:1