Post-Week Two Top 25 Rankings

Post-Week Two Top 25 Rankings

How many move in and out of my updated poll?

4
Post-Week Two Top 25 Rankings
SB Nation

The second week of college football did not share the same epic matchups as week one, but it nevertheless proved to be very interesting. Teams like Tennessee and Arkansas earned big wins, while others struggled mightily (Clemson, Georgia). Like last week, I will compare my rankings to the AP top 25, revealing what I think the AP got right and wrong. Here is my updated top 25:

1. Alabama
  2. Florida State
  3. Ohio State
  4. Michigan
  5. Clemson
  6. Houston
  7. Stanford
  8. Washington
  9. Louisville
  10. Wisconsin
  11. Texas
  12. Tennessee
  13. Michigan State
  14. Iowa
  15. Oklahoma
  16. Georgia
  17. LSU
  18. Notre Dame
  19. Ole Miss
  20. Texas A&M
  21. Baylor
  22. Arkansas
  23. Oregon
  24. Florida
  25. Miami

Only two teams - Iowa (+3) and Texas A&M (+3) - rose more than two spots in my rankings. Likewise, only one team - Georgia (-8) - that stayed in the top 25 from week one to week two fell more than two spots. TCU and Oklahoma State fell completely out of my rankings, while Florida rejoined the list and Arkansas hopped in for the first time this season.

My top 8 matches that of the AP Poll, and the only thing worth commenting about is Clemson's struggles. The Tigers barely survived for the second week in a row, this time against Troy. What was originally a championship-hyped team is beginning to look like a group with nothing more than a faint pulse. Last week, I dropped them from #2 to #3, whereas the AP Poll kept Clemson at #2. However, both have the Tigers falling to #5. Louisville (#10 AP) comes in at #9 in my poll, largely thanks to Heisman hopeful Lamar Jackson's spectacular performance (again). Wisconsin (#9 AP) soundly beat Akron, but Louisville's win with Jackson at the helm is more impressive; thus, the Badgers round out my top 10.

Texas (#11, #11 AP) took care of business. Tennessee (#12, #15 AP) got off to a slow start vs a good Virginia Tech squad before running away with the game, and I have them jumping Michigan State (#13, #12 AP), who had a bye week. Iowa (#13 AP) jumped up three spots to #14 after destroying rival Iowa State. Oklahoma (#15, #14 AP) stayed the same following their blowout win over ULM. I have Georgia dropping all the way to #16, just like the AP. The Bulldogs almost didn't outlast FCS Nicholls State, which is definitely not a good look for the team that defeated North Carolina the week before. LSU (#17, #20 AP), Notre Dame (#18, #18 AP), and Ole Miss (#19, #19 AP) all got their first wins of the season. The AP does not seem to favor the Bayou Bengals as much as I do, and I think their quarterback change will continue to help them win as it did in week two.

Texas A&M (#17 AP) comes in at #20 in my rankings. I have them lower because, as stated last week, I did not regard UCLA (the Aggies' first win) as worthy for a spot in the rankings other than maybe just sneaking in at #25. However, A&M destroyed their lesser opponent in week two and climbed up three spots. My last five teams in the top 25 are Baylor (#21 AP), Arkansas (#24 AP), Oregon (#22 AP), Florida (#23 AP), and Miami (#25 AP). I was very impressed with the Razorbacks' ability to go to Fort Worth and knock off a (formerly) ranked TCU team, whereas Oregon, Florida and Miami simply did what was expected of them. Therefore, I have Arkansas two spots higher than the AP.

There it is, my top 25 following what I call "national trap week" in college football. We are only two weeks in, and these rankings will continue to change as good matchups take place. Speaking of good matchups, here are the games to watch for in week three:

Florida State @ Louisville - 11:00 AM on ABC

Oregon @ Nebraska - 2:30 PM on ABC

Alabama @ Ole Miss - 2:30 PM on CBS

Michigan State @ Notre Dame - 6:30 PM on NBC

Ohio State @ Oklahoma - 6:30 PM on FOX

USC @ Stanford - 7:00 PM on ABC