Plot Twist: Not All Donald Trump Supporters Are Terrible People

Don't we all want to make America great again?

384
The Nation

On November 8, the future of the United States shifted. For the past year and a half, millions of people—including leading politicians, well-known celebrities like Katy Perry and Beyoncé, and average citizens—believed that Hillary Clinton was going to be the 45th president of the United States. When news broke in the early morning of November 9 that Hillary Clinton had conceded and that Donald Trump was the president elect, Americans were outraged.

The early hours after the election didn't start like they have in past elections. Americans weren't just furious that their candidate didn't win, Americans were furious that Donald Trump won and they were furious at everyone who voted for him.

"Voting for Donald Trump essentially tells all of your friends just the type of person you truly are."

"I'm sorry you think it's okay to suppress the freedom of others by voting for a president that has bashed countless groups of minorities."

"It's truly a shame that people like you have the right to put your freedoms in front of everyone else's."

"If you voted for Trump please tell me so that I can know who you really are and then proceed to delete you."

"White privilege."

"I'm sorry but I no longer want to be your friend. Your ignorance is saddening. You voted for someone who instills hate, violence, discrimination, racism, and sexism. I cannot and will not associate myself with someone life that. I don't want that hatred and bigotry in my life."

"I'm judging every single person in America for electing that sad excuse for a human being."

"She has a lot of growing up to do and a whole lot of realizations to make that life exists outside of her bubble."

"If you voted for Gary Johnson or Donald Trump, like this status. I need to know who I cannot trust with my or my black, Latino, immigrant, LGBTQ+ friends' well being."

"I can't believe (some) white people let this man who is endorsed by the KKK become our president. Do they want to start lynching?"

"I'm not about to be happy or loving towards any Trump supporters. They want to take us back to times where only white men had rights."

"She has that privilege so nothing will affect her."

"Imagine how privileged you have to be."

"You voted for third party. This election is your fault."

When I excitedly announced to my Facebook friends in the early hours of November 9 that I had voted in my first presidential election and that I had voted for Donald Trump, the quotes above were some of the comments and hate I received from my "friends." When some of my friends announced that they had voted for Donald Trump or for a third party candidate in the presidential election, the quotes above were some of the comments and hate they received. If it wasn't one of my best friends ending a friendship with me over my decision to vote for Donald Trump, it was multiple people unfriending me on Facebook because we didn't share the same political views. If it wasn't that, it was tweets and pictures going viral saying things like "what scares me is knowing that I live in a country where the majority is okay with racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, and sexual assault."

When I announced to the world that I had voted for Donald Trump in the presidential election, I was criticized and ridiculed more than I had been in my entire life. People could no longer associate with me because I "support that man and everything he stands for."

When I announced to the world that I had voted for Donald Trump in the presidential election, my reputation of being genuine and accepting of others was long forgotten—a thing in the past. Suddenly, I was no longer accepting of the LGBTQ+ community or Latinos or immigrants etc.; at least that's what thousands of Americans believed. Suddenly, I was racist and sexist and didn't care about women's rights, at least that's what thousands of Americans believed. Suddenly, I was a bigot who believed that we should deport millions of immigrants and build a wall to keep people out; at least that's what thousands of Americans believed. Suddenly, millions of Trump voters were terrible people and had "a lot of growing up to do."

The point of this article is not to receive anyone's pity. Shit, a lot of people are probably laughing and saying "you deserve this" or they might be nodding their head along with everything I quoted while saying "all Trump supporters deserve to be treated this way."

I must clarify something:

No one deserves to be treated the way I was treated because of my decision to vote for Donald Trump in the presidential election. No one deserves to be unfriended because they don't share the same political views as that person. No 12-year-old DeWitt Junior High School student deserves to be stopped at her locker by a group of boys telling her to go back to her country because they were going to "make America great again." http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/11/students_at_dewitt_school_form.html No one should be told to "go back to where you came from." No one should have to walk past graffiti with a Swastika sign and words that say "make America white again." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/countless-acts-of-hate-have-been-carried-out-since-trumps-win_us_5825ee38e4b02d21bbc86211 No man should get viciously beaten by people who assumed he voted for Donald Trump. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-trump-beating-video-1111-met-2-20161110-story.html No one should be terrified to live in America because they are not white.

I must clarify something:

I don't agree with everything Donald Trump stands for.

Many people who voted for Donald Trump don't agree with everything Donald Trump stands for.

Whether or not you agree, voting for Donald Trump DOES NOT make anyone any less of a human being than the next person.

Voting for Donald Trump DOES NOT mean we are all bigots, racist, sexist, homophobic, white supremacists, etc.

Voting for Donald Trump does not mean I don't not believe in climate change or that I believe in de-funding Planned Parenthood or that I'm okay with sexual assault or that I believe America should build a wall and deport millions of immigrants.

Voting for Donald Trump does not give anyone the right to belittle us.

I will not tell you why I voted for Donald Trump nor will I tell you how I feel about Hillary Clinton or why I didn't vote for her. All I will tell you is that I voted for Donald Trump because I believed he was my best option and I believed his non-political background could make for a positive change in America. A lot of people voted for Donald Trump because they believed he was their best option. Does our vote mean that we agree with everything he stands for? Absolutely not. Does our vote mean that we are terrible people? Absolutely not.

I'm not going to lie, there are a lot of terrible people who voted for Donald Trump. There are a lot of Trump supporters who do believe in white supremacy. There are a lot of Trump supporters who do believe that America should build a wall and that we should deport millions of immigrants. However, not all Trump supporters are bad people.

I'm not going to lie, there are a lot of terrible people who voted for Hillary Clinton. Some of these people are the ones committing acts of hate like nearly beating a man to death because they assumed he voted for Donald Trump. Some of these people are blatantly running into passerby's because they have a Trump pin on their backpack. However, not all Clinton supporters are bad people.

While I will never truly understand how the LGBTQ+ community, Latinos, black people, immigrants, etc. are feeling in the aftermath of this election, my decision to vote for Donald Trump does not make me a terrible person nor does it make any Trump voters terrible people. Bullying and criticizing and ridiculing Trump supporters will not change the results of this election. Holding up signs that say #NotMyPresident or unfriending someone because of their political stance will not help or change the situation.What's done is done. We cannot take back our vote nor can we take back the results of this election. The fact of the matter is, Donald Trump WILL BE the 45th president of the United States and there is not much anyone can do about it. To anyone who belittles someone or only views people as who they voted for, YOU are what is wrong with America and YOU will not help this situation. If people refuse to accept the fact that Donald Trump will be our next president, there will always be a split divide among Americans and we will never truly be able to unite and "make America great again."

I am truly sorry to the people who are terrified to live in this country now that Donald Trump is our president elect. I am truly sorry to the people who can't associate with me because of our differences in political views; it's your loss, not mine. I am truly sorry to anyone who feels America has let them down and that Americans have let them down. I am truly sorry to anyone that believes that everything President Barack Obama has done in the past eight years will be for nothing. I am truly sorry for all of the hurtful things Donald Trump said throughout his political campaign. I am TRULY SORRY for the outcome of this election. However, I am not sorry that I performed my civic duty as an American citizen and voted in the presidential election. I am not sorry that I believe in America's democracy and motto the "land of the free" and lived out that phrase by casting my vote for the person I believed should be our next president. Donald Trump may or may not be the best candidate to be the next president of the United States, but I am NOT sorry that I voted for him. If you despise me because I supposedly "support that man and everything he stands for," that's your call. I refuse to conform to society's views and I refuse to agree with anyone's political views just to get their approval.

As Americans, we are incredibly fortunate to have the freedom to vote; I exercised that freedom on November 8 and so did millions of Americans. Whether or not you agree with my vote, your family's vote, your best friend's vote, your professor's vote, etc. we are incredibly fortunate to live in the "land of free" and have had the incredible opportunity to voice our opinion by voting.

Please, do not unfriend someone or disown someone because you have different political views.

Please, do not think less of someone because of who they voted for.

Please, do not commit terrible acts of hate against someone because of who they are or who they voted for.

Please, do not let this election be the end of America.

Please, do not let our own actions put us at war against one another.

Whether or not you like the outcome of the presidential election, whether or not you despise Donald Trump or those who voted for him, etc., Donald Trump will be our next president and as Americans, we must do everything we can to unite and "make America great again." There are good people on both sides of this battle and while I can't speak for everyone, don't we all want to make America great again?