5 Types Of People You Meet On Every Train

Random Stories from an Observant Train Traveller

277

Being a college student without a car, I was in need of finding some method of traveling to and from home when the occasion called for it. The train was the most obvious answer for both my parents and I. Having ridden this mode of transportation more times then I care to count over the past few years, I have had the priviledge of witnessing many an interesting person traveling alongside me. Here are just a few:

1. The Drunken Sports Fan

Is this what happens every time the Oakland Raiders win? Though not the scariest thing that could possibly happen on a train, a man is slurring his words at the top of his chest voice. He rants about how horrible millennials are and makes sexual comments about the young girl who had been sitting next to him earlier, while simultaneously hating upon every person aboard the train who was a fan of the opposing team. Nobody said anything to him, but you could tell that they were not happy from the looks that people were giving him. The best part of the night came from a family of three that I was sitting next to - a man, woman, and their middle school-aged son. In the midst of this man's degrading, demeaning, and disturbing comments, the father leaned over to his child and said, "Now, son, if you don't go to college, that is who you become. If you go to college, you get to spend the rest of your life paying for people like that." I will never forget that comment because it was so perfect at that moment.

2. The 7-Person Family

Occasionally, you'll run into a traveling family. These groups of people are usually extremely fun and positive to be around because they've been planning this event for weeks and are excited about what the day will hold. You may even be lucky enough to see a family reunion of sorts! The group may be getting on the train at different stations and you just cannot help but smile at their happiness in seeing their loved ones. They will be joking and laughing and being stupid with each other because that's what families do. It brings so much joy to an often very tedious ride.

3. That One Couple...

You all know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't deny it. This seems to be the one that everyone dreads because nothing is more uncomfortable than somehow managing to sit in close proximity to a couple that just cannot get enough of each other. It's adorable to an extent. Why wouldn't it be? You sit wondering what their story is, hoping that they stay together and that they treat each other right. However, couples can take their affection a bit too far in public as I'm sure everyone knows. That's when it goes past adorable and gets plain awkward. Because on a train, you really have nowhere else to go...

5. They-Won't-Stop-Talking-to-Me-but-They're-Really-Nice

I think that this is the type of experience that every traveler wants, especially if they are using public transportation. They are the type of people that you always want to come across but only run into once in a blue moon. Someone who will engage you in friendly conversation and might even have some things in common with you. I have only had one experience like this in all of the times that I have ridden the train since I started college, and it was a pretty spectacular one.

I happened to sit across from a 75-year-old licensed therapist who specialized in the treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). I am a psychology major so speaking with a trained, practicing experienced counselor gave me an absolute thrill. We talked about everything from personality disorders to internships to psychology magazines, and she was sweet enough to answer any questions I had about her career and studies. Having both taken this particular route multiple times, we pointed out different things we had seen out the windows before. She showed me the old Sugar Cane Factory and a little hut that supposedly offers banjo lessons. I told her that the marshes the train passes by always remind me of the swamp Frodo, Sam, and Gollum walk over in the Lord of the Rings films - which then led to a conversation about Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, a subject I never expected to discuss with a 75-year-old person. She even shared her salad with me, claiming that train portions were always too big for her and she hated wasting food (don't worry; we had separate forks and put the food on different plates).

These are the type of people that somehow manage to restore your faith in humanity. Especially in a world that is where it is right now. Maybe it's a good thing that these people only come around every once in a while. You wouldn't know it was something special if it happened all the time.

5. Children!

I rarely see children on the train, but when I do, they vary greatly. They can be anywhere from polite to crying to talkative to shy. One thing that all children on trains seem to have in common is that they are completely enthralled by the world quickly passing by outside. Constant murmurings are heard as they ask questions about what things are and convincing themselves that sharks live in the water tanks. It's always wonderful to see other passengers interacting with children. It warms my heart.

Though I've never experienced this first hand, I have seen an elderly couple playing with a young child who was traveling with her sister, and I once heard a little boy trying to explain video games to an older gentleman. That was amusing. Although, one child who remains very prominent in my mind was a little girl traveling with her father. They were up and about quite often, usually because she needed to use the restroom. She commented to her father that she liked my boots and wanted a pair someday. At one point, her father left her in their seats to go and buy both of them some dinner from the cafe car. I can't explain why, but I suddenly felt very protective of this young girl while she was alone. Perhaps it was my future motherly intuition peeking through, maybe it was subconsciously wanting to keep an eye on her and make sure she was okay. It wasn't that I thought anything particularly bad would happen to her but, should anything happen, I wanted to be ready. Nothing happened and her father returned several minutes later.