People Do Not Cross Our Paths By Accident

There is a reason for everything.
36082

“We don’t meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our paths for a reason.” --Unknown

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, whether we know the reason or not. Sometimes people come into your life and you know right away that they were meant to be there. They are meant to serve some sort of purpose, to teach you a lesson, or to help you figure out who you are and who you want to become.

People do not just randomly appear into our lives, there is a reason behind it. The timing of people coming into our lives is incredibly important as well. I believe that there is no such thing as coincidence, only reason and purpose. Often, I hear or read something from someone and feel that the person was led into my life for a reason. Sometimes, it is the message; in the words they write or in the words they speak. Sometimes, I am meant to connect with the person and open up to them in order to grow as a person. Sometimes, I am meant to meet someone to inspire them. Sometimes, I am meant to meet someone to become a better version of myself.

Ever since I started my journey in college, I have been more than grateful for the people who have come into my life. In high school, I struggled to maintain a solid friend group over those four years. However, in college I have I have been lucky enough to meet a plethora of people with whom I would never think that I would associate. These people have become some of the most meaningful people in my life. They are the ones I see daily, Snapchat ridiculous photos of myself to, sit with in club lib, TDR for hours with, or frankly the ones I see in passing where just a quick “hello” or head nod is exchanged. They are the ones who call me at late hours of the night to make sure I am okay and will stay up just to chat. They are the ones who just know when I need a hug,
and seeing them makes my days brighter. We often find ourselves bonding with someone and then feeling as if we have known them forever. The people who you meet and wonder how you have lived without are the ones to keep around.

Life throws many obstacles at us and at least for me it seems these influential people come into my life during the toughest times. Recently I have met a few people who have ultimately impacted my life in just a few short weeks. Between the amazing people I have gotten closer with from last semester and this one, I could not be more grateful. They are the people who do not run away from my struggles, but are rather the ones who stay and help me grow.

As in the wonderful musical selection, "For Good" from the play "Wicked" states

"I've heard it said,
That people come into our lives
For a reason
Bringing something we must learn.
And we are led to those
Who help us most to grow if we let them.
And we help them in return.
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

Who can say if I've been changed for the better
But because I knew you.
I have been changed for good...

So, let me say before we part:
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you.
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have rewritten mine
By being my friend."

So thank you from the bottom of my heart for those who have taken an interest in my life and have crossed my path. Whether you have stayed or left, I have been impacted by those who have touched my heart.

Photo credits: cover, 1, 2, 3