I Participated in a Women's Rally and This is What it Was Like
Politics

A Day Without a Woman

16

Last week, on International Women's Day, I participated in a Women's rally and picket line. The event was like the many others that occurred in big cities across America. However, mine was organized by a group of women in my small, college town. It was called, "A Day Without a Woman." To show resistance, women were to not shop, or only shop locally, and to not participate in paid and unpaid work. So, I went to my midterm (because that's pretty important) but I didn't go to my other classes and I didn't go to work either. Being a feminist, I was extremely excited to participate and I'm so happy I brought my camera along to capture this day, this is what it was like:

When I first walked up to the pavilion, I saw a large group of red, symbolizing solidarity. As I got closer, I noticed all the types of people there in this little pavilion in southern Illinois. Men, children, Black, White, Muslim, Latina, straight, gay, trans, and dogs (including my own!) in support of equal rights. There were protest songs beings sung, speakers, and people creating signs. The entire mood was very happy and proud. I especially loved seeing the families with young children and men there. Yes, men can be feminists too! Everyone was so nice and welcoming, I had gotten a few complements on my shirt, which aptly read, "FEMINIST AF" and my poster which read, "NASTY WOMAN."

There are people out there who believe that feminists are crazy, mad, man haters. Yes, we are mad, mad because we don't have equal rights. But we do not hate men, the very definition of feminism is: the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes. We don't think we're better than you, we just want to be treated equally, and we are not crazy to want that. Every single person at this rally was smiling, having a good time, standing up for something they believe in.

The picket line was later in the day during rush hour. It felt amazing to get people honking, waving, smiling, and throwing thumbs up at us as they drove by. Of course, we got the confused looks, the head shakes of disapproval, and even some middle fingers. But the thing about it is, we didn't feel discouraged, it's just another reminder of why we need to keep advocating and fighting. The people around me were so cheerful, telling people in the cars to smile, and have a good rest of their day, does that sound like some crazy, angry woman to you?

Oh, and another thing, I did NOT hear or see a single thing about Trump. This isn't about him. We've been fighting for a long time, and we will continue to fight. Smash the patriarchy.