Why Being Overweight Is Actually A Positive Thing

​“The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap. Stay Safe, Eat Cake.”

90
EK's SnapChat Story

As taught by Disney princesses, in American society nowadays we value thin, narrow body-types, in both men and women. If looked at carefully, one can see that Snow White, Disney’s first princess lost weight over the years (I guess she's been working out), to keep up with the trend of skinny equaling beauty. In the recent past, and most recently in Western Europe, being overweight was actually the ideal. It meant that you were wealthy and could afford to eat. A lot.

Obesity was something people strived for. It earned those bragging rights and honor in the community. Additionally, women’s obesity was even more valued than men’s because, in addition to just earning them prestige in terms of their monetary worth, it meant that they had nice, wide childbearing hips. Basically being fat was a win-win situation just a few years ago. What happened? Why does society value narrow and petite bodies nowadays? I understand the health aspect of it. When you eat healthier -- and by extension are skinnier -- you have lower cholesterol thus creating a lower risk of heart attack.

Additionally, it decreases your risk of diabetes which is obviously something we strive for. The thing is that this emphasis on health and being skinny has gotten out of control and something slightly out of reach for such an obese country. Being an athlete on multiple sports teams my whole life has taught me the truth about leading a “healthy” lifestyle first hand.

Sporting events are some of the most dangerous things someone could engage in. Everyone knows that extreme sports comes with its own set of dangers and anything that takes place on the slopes is pretty much considered a “routine” injury. However, what I think is a little more underrated in terms of dangers in sports are those in the sports of everyday life, like basketball, soccer, softball, tennis, dance and anything else that most people would engage in on a whim.

There are three people on my thirteen member basketball team that have to wear ankle braces whenever they play in addition to three members who have had ankle injuries for which physical therapy was required. One member tore her ACL during a soccer game thus incapacitating her for a duration of six months from any athletic endeavor. Another member stubbed her finger and still cannot full extend it two months later. Four people have shoulder issues on my softball team and that’s just the beginning. People assume that if you’re engaging in sporting events on a regular basis, you’re healthier for it.

However, the ugly truth is, you're in a real danger of injury. How many people who don't get off the couch regularly have their physical therapist on speed dial huh? People who move just the bare minimum are the people that are in the best shape (round and love-able). I think that its time we go back to our basic human cultural roots and appreciate what the extra weight has to offer. Warmth, a stronger immune system and obviously that challenge presented to kidnappers. So as the saying goes, “Stay Safe, Eat Cake.”