Orlando mass shooting does more than kill

"We're all Americans"

15
Insider Higher ED

On Jun. 12, 2016, a violent attack on the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) club, Pulse, occurred in Orlando, Florida at approximately 2:30 a.m. ending in 51 dead, including the killer, 53 injured with the death toll expecting to increase and the deadliest mass shooting in United States history.

“This is an especially heartbreaking day for all our friends -- our fellow Americans -- who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender,” stated U.S. President Barack Obama hours after the attack.

Various news outlets reported the crime such as the Cable News Network (CNN), New York Times, the Columbia Broadcasting System News (CBS News), the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) and Fox News.

“This should be a reality check for our country because it shows that no one is safe and nowhere is safe,” said prospective Indiana University of Pennsylvania freshman Ashley Miller. “I personally think we need much stricter gun control laws.”

Many political figures took to Twitter in light of this event.

“We have to stand together and be proud together. There is no better rebuke to the terrorists and all those who hate,” --Democratic nominee and former First Lady, Hillary Clinton.

“In my speech on protecting America I spoke about a temporary ban, which includes suspending immigration from nations tied to Islamic terror,” --Presumptive Republican Nominee Donald Trump.

“One hateful person committed this crime-not an entire people or an entire religion,” -- Democratic nominee and Vermont Senator, Bernie Saunders.

“Our prayers are with those injured and killed early this morning in horrifying act of terror in Orlando,” --Florida Republican Senator, Marco Rubio.

“Today, I’m praying for all those impacted by last night’s horrific attack on an LGBT nightclub in Orlando,” --Pennsylvania Democratic Senator, Bob Casey Jr.

“Heartbreaking to learn a young Pennsylvanian was among the victims in Orlando. Kris & I are praying for her family,” --Pennsylvania Republican Senator, Pat Tommey.

“ #Orlando Conservatives:"Don't say it has anything to do with guns!" Liberals:"Don't say it has anything to do with Islam!" #DrowningInBS,” --’Real Time with Bill Maher’ host, Bill Maher

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Orlando police department are currently working to piece together this “act of terror and an act of hate,” stated President Obama.

The killer has been identified however, FBI Director James Comey, during a briefing on the Orlando mass shooting at FBI Headquarters in Washington D.C. with Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates, urged, “You will notice that I am not using the killer’s name and I will try not to do that. Part what have motivates sick people to do this kind of thing is some twisted notion of fame and glory, and I don’t want to be part of that. For the sake of the victims and their families and so that other twisted minds don’t think that this is a path to fame and recognition.”

He went into detail of the crime along with there were three calls that night. The killer called 911 and immediately hung up, then again and talked to the dispatcher briefly only to hang up, and the dispatcher then called back and again spoke briefly only to be hung up on again.

During these three calls, the killer to pledge his allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and Libya/Levant (ISIL)/Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), stated solidarity with the Boston Marathon bombers and a Florida suicide bomber who let off in Syria for the a group in conflict with ISIL/ISIS, Al-Nustra.

“Which adds a little bit to the confusion of his motives and of course we’re working to understand what role anti-gay bigotry may have played in motivating this attack,” stated Comey.

The New York Times also reported that the killer falsely stated to the dispatcher he had explosives and accomplices at the club.

The killer was also on the FBI’s radar with two investigations that were enacted May of 2013 that lasted 10 months and Jul. of 2014.

The first time, he was investigated for “inflammatory and contradictory” statements that he made to his co-workers at a local Florida courthouse. He stated that he had family ties with Al-Queda, was a member a Shi’a terrorist organization, Hezbollah-- enemy to ISIL/ISIS and hope that law enforcement would raid his house and “assault his wife and child he may martyr himself.”

He was interviewed twice and the investigation was closed.

The second time he was investigated was through the Florida suicide bomber mentioned earlier. From investigating that, the FBI learned that the bomber knew the killer casually because the attended the same mosque in Florida.

When asked about radicalization, one witness confessed that he had once been worried about the killer because he brought up certain videos. Upon the killer getting married, having a child and working as a security guard, the witness’ worries ceased.

Upon and interview with the killer and an inquiry to his ties with Al-Nursa, which led to none, that part of the investigation was discontinued and the spotlight was off the killer.

At the end of the brief, Comey pressed, “If you see something, tell us so we can look at it. In every single one of our cases as we look back, somebody always sees something that they should have told us and they didn’t. So our request to you is please don’t let them make you work into a state of anxiety that is disabling, find ways to channel that into healthy awareness of your surroundings and live your lives.”

He promised to keep the public posted on information that comes up in the investigation.

On Jun. 13, 2016 President Obama spoke again during a press conference held in the White House.

“But it’s a reminder that regardless of race, religion, faith or sexual orientation, we’re all Americans, and we need to be looking after each other and protecting each other at all times in the face of this kind of terrible act,” stated Obama.

Madeline Gavatorta, News