Do It Right: Watch 'Black Mirror' Episodes In This Order For Your Viewing Pleasure

One word: shook.

12626
The Verge

I'm scared of Charlie Brooker. What is going on in his mind? How does he come up with these dark episodes? How does he seem so normal in interviews?

You'd be scared of him too if you knew who I was talking about. Charlie Brooker is the genius behind the show Black Mirror.

I don't know how else to describe Black Mirror episodes except as shook. They leave you in a state of paralyzing surprise and terror. The horror, the horror.

My friend showed me the show and guided us through the episodes in a order she thought was best. I think this is the best map to enjoy the show and to maximize the Black Mirror experience.

1. Be Right Back

The acting in this one is fantastic, thanks to Hayley Atwell and Domhnall Gleeson. It has a good enough twist and is a sad romance. The ending really does raise some amazing points about robots and artificial life and its role in grief. Its a really beautiful but enticing episode and will help people understand what Black Mirror is without turning potential new viewers off, like *cough* National Anthem.

2. Fifteen Million Merits

This one doesn't have a huge twist, but it does still leave you shook and wondering about human selflessness or selfishness. And it features the lead from Get Out! This guy, aka Daniel Kaluuya, really needs a break from all the dark projects and do a cute little rom com.

3. Entire History of You

A world where we can record and replay memories? No, not with Snapchat Spectacles.

This raises the question: is it better that humans are able to forget? I don't think that its time that heals all wounds, rather the ability of humans to forget things over time. How can we forgive if we can't forget?

4. The National Anthem

Warning: this one is kinda gross. Ok, really gross.

Its about when a Princess is captured, doing the ransom act, and putting country before family, friends, reputation, and self.

5. Nosedive

This one isn't sad or gross, so it's kinda perfect after seeing National Anthem.

Another stunning episode with an amazing performance from Bryce Dallas Howard. Unlike the others, its almost touching and inspiring. Its about a world where everyone rates each other, and higher ratings grant more privileges. Fun promotional item, you can find your rating and rate your friends on this Black Mirror created app: https://rateme.social/

5. The Waldo Moment

Feeling sad about Trump and want something that touches reality? Yeah, me neither.

The episode centers around a cartoon named Waldo that runs for government office. Much like our 2016 US Presidential Election, only rather than a cartoon, we had a piece of shit.

6. Playtest

If you want a good Halloween episode, this is one of the only ones that are slightly scary (it feature a haunted house). If you can tell from the picture, it talks about virtual reality.

This one really, really leaves you shook. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days... it really makes you think and replay the episode in your head again and again. There is a huge plot twist!

7. White Christmas

Jon Hamm! Jon Hamm!

Eggs. Toast. Snow Globes.

That's all. Just watch this. Your jaw will be on the floor at the end of it.

8. Shut Up and Dance

This episode is unbelievable. But ironically, its the most believable one because of how close it is to our current reality. If there was a "based on true events" slide at the start of the episode, it would actually be quite fitting.

It just gets so bad and so its just amazing. Its sort of a thriller with a bank robbery and drones, and Alex Lawther who plays the lead, is so believable and amazing in this episode.

9. White Bear

THIS. EPISODE. IS. UNBELIEVABLE.

Rather than just one central twist like in Shut Up and Twist, this one has a huge twist that just escalates and twists around again and again and just worsens.

It's like if you captured a snake and put it in your oven, turning up the heat by 50 degrees each turn and you were somehow glued to the oven window watching the snake writhe and twist around.

I can't even tell you what its about because it'll give away too much. But I think the message is there are punishments worse than death.

10. Hated in the Nation

This is apparently the best episode of Black Mirror in the entire three seasons. I haven't seen it though, but I've heard fantastic things. It's somehow related to bees?

11. San Junipero

End on a happy note. I think this is the only episode that is happy in the entire series, so yeah, enjoy the romance.

Its such a testament to the genius of Charlie Brooker and the amazing writing, that despite how dark the show is, there are still so many fans.

This is such a spectacular, unique show. This is the type of show that you watch once a month, but look forward to for the whole month because its exciting and unpredictable. You never know where the episode is going to take you.