An Open, Post-Election Letter To All Little Girls

7
redbubble.com

Dear little girls everywhere,

First, I want to apologize. I'm sorry that this is the world you have to grow up in. I'm sorry that there are probably people in your life who think that this is the kind of world you should be raised in. I'm sorry that I, as an older female who has the power to invoke change, didn't do enough to promote that change. I'm sorry that men think that they are entitled to you. I'm sorry that there are women who excuse a male's aggressive behavior toward you. I'm sorry that this is the only world you will know.

Second, I want you to know that it's not your fault. When a little boy calls you ugly, it's not your fault. When another pulls on your cornrows, it's not your fault. When that cute boy in your middle school english class calls you a freak because of your braces, it's not your fault. When your girlfriend of three months calls you fat and says you need to lose weight, it's not your fault. When the boy who swore that he would never hit you does, it's not your fault. When you watch your mother become alienated from the rest of the world because all she knows are the rigid gender roles enforced by machismo culture, it's not your fault. When some stupid kid at your table during lunch starts making fun of you and calling you a "beaner", it's not your fault. When you tell the teacher you didn't do your homework last night because you were having a panic attack and they say "that isn't a good enough excuse", it's not your fault. When the person you've been talking to for the past two weeks says "I've always wanted to date someone as exotic as an Asian," it's not your fault. When some white boy from your advanced high school geometry class calls you the n-word, it's not your fault. When that frat brother grabs you or smacks you and says "I can do what I want to you", it's not your fault. When some drunk guy at the bar pulls at your hijab and tells you to go back to where you came from, it's not your fault. When the people around you are dismissive of your experience, it's not your fault. You did not ask for this in any way, and anyone who says you did is wrong.

Third, you are valid. I don't care what anyone else has to say, you are. You are valid in your gender identity, you are valid in your sexuality, you are valid in your feelings, you are valid. Do not ever let anyone ever tell you otherwise. No one, not even the president, can tell you that you are invalid.

Fourth, you deserve to exist. Your existence is such a beautiful thing and you deserve it. I know that, over your life, others will try to tell you that your existence is "harming" them, either directly or indirectly. They will try to say it's your race, sexuality, gender identity, religion, or that you simply want to exist and have your rights. They are not only wrong, they are lying. You cannot possibly harm someone with your existence. Don't let anyone try to take your right to exist, and don't let anyone make you feel bad for existing.

Fifth, you are entitled every right you have. You are entitled to be paid the same as a man for doing the same job, and more if you're better than him at it. You are entitled to vote. You are entitled to do whatever you want with your body. You are entitled to your rights as a human being. It is absolutely NOT okay for anyone to try to take them from you, and you shouldn't let them.

Sixth, I'm so happy you're alive. You are a beautiful human being, with feelings, intelligence, beauty and grace. You are amazing. The world would be less without you. It is so important that you live on. In that magnificent brain of yours, there could be a cure for cancer, or the last component we need to put astronauts on Jupiter, or an amazing, NY Times bestselling book, or a composition rivaling Beethoven's 9th Symphony. There is so much you can do if you just keep living and breathing.

Lastly, I want to thank you. Thank you, for being so brilliant and wonderful. Thank you for being so awe-inspiring. Thank you for being who you are, because without someone like you, the world would be a dimmer place.

With all the love in my heart,
A woman who just wanted you to know