Open Poem To Addiction

Open Poem To Addiction

Turn around and lock that selfish abusive door.

147

It's kind of funny don't cha think,

I mean, you said you'd only have one drink.

You should have known that was a lie,

You just didn't want another lonely day to pass by.

I don't blame you for popping the lid,

It was only a game when you were just a kid.

But these days liquor feels like your only friend,

And it takes up all your time on the weekend.

Maybe it's just easier to pretend

That it will make you feel happy once again.

You know you don't want to do it

But if it defames the pain then screw it.

The sensation of guilt overwhelms your soul,

It's just imprisonment with no parole.

But we're all here for you,

For whatever you're going through.

You can keep her around for the lonely nights,

Or use her as confidence in the pointless bar fights.

She'll steal from you and leave you sick,

And when you're already down she'll give you a little kick.

She'll take your reputation and throw it away,

But when you're sad and lonely she's ready to play.

I guess it's not your fault for missing it,

She really is just a manipulating bitch.

So, leave her at the bar to sulk and cry,

Turn your life around or at least give it a try.

He believes in you,

He's testing your strength,

Clearly, he wanted you to be on a different wavelength.

You're stronger than she is,

And all full of life,

Don't let this addiction dull your light.

If you stay in this position,

Would you still consider yourself limited edition?

Don't let her be your problem anymore,

From The Child Of A Drug-Addicted Parent

I couldn't save you, but you sure as hell destroyed me.
3821

To the parent that chose drugs over their own child,

Let me start off by saying that I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you feel the need to use drugs as an excuse and to mask the guilt that you may (and probably do) have.

I never expected it to come down to this. I never expected me to come after drugs on your list of priorities. I spent so much time and energy wanting you to change and finally hit the point where I gave up on trying to care and help. I never said the ultimate threat: "It's either drugs or me. Take your pick" and you know why? Because I would be heartbroken knowing that I would not be your answer.

Plain and simple, your decision was (and still is) selfish and I will never be able to forgive you. Parents are supposed to encourage their children and watch them grow up and see their children hit so many milestones as they get older, but you weren't that kind of parent. And you know what is the worst thing in the world is? Getting a Facebook message from you telling me that you love me. Do you really? Or do you only say that because if you didn't, you'd feel like a terrible parent?

I'll never understand why someone I'm supposed to love and trust could do so much damage in my life in just a short amount of time and not even try or attempt to repair the damage.

I know that I will never be at peace with you for what you've done. I constantly see other people my age posting pictures with their dad's and I can't help but feel jealous. For years, I've wanted to know what that father/daughter relationship felt like, but instead, I'm furious with you and feeling neglected at the same time. There will always be a void in my life and in my heart and I will never forgive you for choosing to dig yourself an early grave instead of being a parent.

Thank you for allowing me to see what I don't want to end up doing in life. Instead, I'm on my way to completing a 4-year degree at a university for a degree that I've been talking about non-stop for years. I will soar in life and be successful at whatever I do. Enjoy watching from afar because if I wasn't first on your priorities list, you won't be mine, either.