An Open letter to College Couples In Their Senior Year

To College Couples In Their Senior Year, Know Everything Will Be OK

There's no good that will come out of losing your mind over the unknown.

102

It's senior year. It's your last year of undergrad and a countdown to the next chapter of your life. Scary, right?

For couples in their senior year, the unknown of post-graduation life can be even more daunting. Not knowing where your first job will be located, where that gap year is happening or what grad school you'll be attending is even more stressful when you're not sure what it means for your relationship. If you had a high school sweetheart, it's just like that stress you went through before knowing where you were both going to college… except worse. This is adult-ing now.

If this is you, fear not—you aren't alone. So many couples go through this scary time in their last year of college, and I'm here to tell you that it's going to be OK.

I know what you're thinking: No, it's not going to be OK. What if we don't work out? How am I going to move on if we don't? This is the worst thing ever.

I know, I know. It totally blows, but the truth is that you won't know until you know. Maybe you're planning out your post-grad plans with each other in mind, or maybe you're waiting to have that tough talk during your last semester. Maybe you're open to doing your own thing, maybe you aren't. Every relationship is different, and you're just going to have to cross that bridge when you get there. There's no good that will come out of losing your mind over the unknown.

In the meantime, I'm going to tell you to try to enjoy your senior year. Put your energy into enjoying your last year of college together, regardless of whether or not a lifelong love is in the cards for you. Support each other when the future is stressful, and spend your time doing all the fun college-esque things while you still can together. You both don't get to be a student on this campus forever. Soak it all in.

And when that day comes, when the hard decisions have to be made (or the easy ones), remember that everything will be OK. If you spend your last year of college growing your relationship to be happier and healthier every day, rather than constantly worrying, everything will fall into place for you both—whether it means staying together or not.

I think everything happens for a reason, and you didn't meet this person or fall in love with them for nothing. Something good comes out of everything; you just have to wait and see.