An Open Letter To Those Who Feel Lost

An Open Letter To Those Who Feel Lost

At one point we have all felt lost in life, but were we actually lost?

1358
An Open Letter To Those Who Feel Lost
The Mind Unleashed
“If you're lost and alone
Or you're sinking like a stone.
Carry on.” -FUN

Most of us have heard that line a thousand times. It comes from one of FUN’s hit songs. Did we ever think about that statement though? I know for a while I didn’t. I was the one lost. We all find ourselves lost at one point or another in life. We question whether we made the right choice? We question if we are following the right path? Are we surrounded by the right people? Is our plan going to fail? Is the plan the right plan?

We find ourselves stuck in a rut sometimes. Nothing is actually wrong, we just feel like nothing is actually right either. So we begin question everything that we want to do, have done and are doing. As we search for those answers, we begin to get lost. Lost in looking for answers and missing life. Lost in the what can I do, the what should I have done, and the what am I doing. We make things worse for ourselves. We want to start making crazy changes. We start to think we aren’t being true to ourselves. We think we are lost souls.

We start to tell ourselves this isn’t who we are supposed to be. We think that we are just doing what everyone else wants us to do. Just meeting the expectations they have set for us, doing the things they think are best for us. I don’t know about you, but at times I felt as though I had to do things because that’s what everyone wanted to see me do. We get stuck in the ruts of life going through the motions. We start to lose touch with our goals and ourselves.

Then life has funny way of happening. It showed me that the things I was doing, were the things I was supposed to be doing. I wasn’t taking action for anyone but myself. I just hadn’t realized why I was doing certain things. For instance, I am pushing through college attempting to get ahead and graduate a year early. At one point, I thought to myself, why am I doing this? I thought that I was doing it just to prove something to everyone. After some thinking, I wasn’t doing it for anyone but myself. No one told me I had to do it this way. I made the decision to do it this way and although sometimes I still don’t know why I did, I know I made the decision and I am doing this for myself.

We aren’t just doing as we are told. We aren’t just meeting expectations. We aren’t lost souls because most of us aren’t actually lost. The truth is, we are trying too hard to get to the destination that we forget everything else. We forget about the life we are living. If you just stay positive, then you will be reminded why you are traveling on the path that you are. We are on a certain path for a certain reason. Maybe you need to walk astray for a moment to be reminded or you just need a glimpse as to what is at the end. No matter what it is, just never forget you are not lost. You aren’t alone. Even if it feels like there is no one around, you know that other people are feeling exactly what you feel. Have faith that the direction you are headed is the right one even if you are the only one headed that way. Some of the best people in this world walk a path of their own.

Next time you feel lost, stop and look around at all that you have. Think about where you are going. Think about where you have been. Then keep moving; whether it is in the same direction or a different one, keeping moving because in the end you will get somewhere and everything you have done will pay off. Just always remember you are not lost, at least not as lost as you think you are.