When You Give A Girl A Passion To Run

When You Give A Girl A Passion To Run

As I gasp for air, you, in turn give me the euphoria of living.

19
When You Give A Girl A Passion To Run

Every runner has experienced the well-known "runner's high," but what exactly is this feeling of flying after an intense run? It's difficult to put into words but after coming back from a run, I always have the perfect explanation. You see, whenever I go for a run, whether on the track or side of the road, I feel this sensation— more than the feeling of just going out for the sake of fitness.

I truly believe that running has a more profound meaning to its infamous nature. Although we have had our ups and downs, literally— I couldn’t have asked for a better companion.

You may be cruel at times by pushing my limits with every step I take and I may not be the fastest, but after a month of being apart from you, you manage to kick my butt and whip me back into shape.

Not only are you my fitness trainer, you are also my spiritual "go-to." You might not be religious, yet with every breath that I take, you make sure I value every second of it.

When I feel that you have pushed me too far you clench my insides and make me feel like death. It's like you had other plans in mind and forced me to appreciate the abilities that I didn’t even recognize I had. Not everyone has the chance to experience the grueling pains in their legs after a long run, but that is what sets you apart in the hearts that can still stride it out.

Again, as the familiar air passes through my nostrils, fills my lungs, and escapes through my mouth— I know that it is worth it and that I should be grateful which is why I want to say thank you.

Thank you for having me go up and down hills incessantly for the sake of getting my times down during track season. Thank you for enabling me to push myself and set new limits for the sake of getting better. Thank you for making me feel special after getting through three miles of agony, while always assuring silly me that I won’t die.

I now hold the power to not only attack hills, but also attack obstacles that I may face later in life. It was never about the amount of time it took me to finish the race— it was finishing the race that made it glorious.

Even though at times it may be below freezing outside, I don’t hesitate in putting on my running sneakers because I know I will only feel alive afterward. You make me believe that I had just accomplished something incredible. Because of you, I know that I have the power to accomplish anything I set my mind to.

I would not be the person I am today if it weren’t for you and I don’t know how I can ever repay you— but for now, I promise to never stop, for as long as I could walk.