An Open Letter To People Starting A New Chapter In Their Life

Whether it is the start of your undergrad career, transferring, getting a new job, or moving on to graduate school. It’s going to be OK!

5819
Rachel Wolf via Pintrest

Whether it is the start of your undergrad career, transferring, getting a new job, or moving on to graduate school, it’s going to be OK!

First, congratulations! You have made it to a life milestone, one some may never reach, so pat yourself on the back and be happy. That being said, do not get too full of yourself, because in the next few weeks you’re going to meet many new people that have accomplished the same achievement. You are unique from all of these people but not necessarily better than them, and accepting that will help you adjust more easily.

You’re going to excel once you find your place and you will soon feel right at home. It will be hard to leave the place you have called home previously to this experience, but do not let this make you sad. The fact that it is hard to leave means you did a great job establishing meaningful relationships in that place. It also means that you made the most of your time there and built lasting memories. Those memories will not be replaced! You will always be able to reminisce about that place, but do not dwell on it or you will miss the next exciting chapter of your life.

In the next few weeks you will meet many new people. Some will be in your life forever and some will not. You have to trust that everything happens for a reason. The funny thing about starting new chapters in your life is that people who are complete strangers now can become your lifelong friends in a few short months. On the flip side of that, people who are your best friends now could easily become strangers soon if you aren’t careful. Coming from someone who has gone through that, be very careful. Never forget everyone who has helped you this far. It is very easy to get wrapped up in new experiences and forget where you came from. If this does happen do not stress because, if they’re really your friends, they will welcome you back with open arms. You just will never be able to make up for lost time.

Most importantly, this is a fresh start. Go out there and have fun! Make mistakes, date that random person who's not your type, stay up all night, do things you’ve always wanted to do but have always been to afraid to do. You’re getting an opportunity to completely reinvent yourself. If you already love who you are, great, then stay just the way you are and never let anyone change you!

You have the world at your fingertips and an awesome support group behind you. So just go for it!

Sincerely,

Your friends and family

(The ones you already know and the ones you are about to meet.)