An Open Letter To My Childhood Babysitter

"Five-minute clean up!" -said as parents were on the way home

177
Faddy

Babysitting. You either love it or you hate it. Even when you love it you sometimes hate it. Kids. They’re crazy. My brother’s and I were no exception. We went through a babysitter or seven. There were a few that I will always love with all of my heart, but this letter is for the one that wasn’t just a babysitter, she was family.

How old was I when you started babysitting us? I can’t even remember. Small enough that when playing hide-n-seek I could get shoved onto the top shelf of the closet. When did you become more than “just a babysitter”? Maybe when the guest room turned into your room. When sleepovers consisted of me being able to just go to the basement.

When I think about growing up you are the first person that pops into my mind. Remember that time my brother ate dog food so that you would come out to the trampoline with us? By far one of the funniest moments of my life. Or when we would make “gourmet” dinners to surprise my parents when they got home. Honestly, so romantic. The Steelers blanket hanging from the balcony by duct tape, so that we could separate the table from the kitchen, really topped it off. Let’s be real though, hide-n-seek in the dark was legendary. I would play it now if you showed up at my doorstep!

There are a lot of fun things that I could never forget. There are also some really random things that you may not remember, but for some reason they stuck with me. Like when I got older and decided that it was time that I start wearing a bra. Of course I came straight to you because I was way too embarrassed to tell my mom. You made me tell her anyways. Or when I was a little bit older than that and you told me you were gonna take me clubbing at Peabody’s once I was old enough. LOL at that age I was just so honored that you would want to take me, of all people, out with you!

Everyone knew just how much I looked up to you. Always wanting to grow up to be as smart and pretty and fun as you. I knew you weren’t perfect. I knew you had your flaws just like the next person. But I also knew how much you cared about me and my brothers. You treated us like we were your family and for that I will always think highly of you.

You’ve moved away and started your own family now. Sometimes I like to scroll through your Facebook page just to see what you are up too (Creepy?). I remember when you started dating your husband and it makes me so happy to see you with him. And oh my goodness you have one lucky kid. Because if you are even half the mom as you were a babysitter, this kid is going to have such a great life.

I guess what I am trying to say through this trip down memory lane, is thank you. I was just a kid, but you were my best friend.

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.” ~ C.S. Lewis