An Open Letter To My Boyfriend Graduating

To My Boyfriend About To Graduate, I'm So Proud Of Everything You've Accomplished

I'm so proud of all that you've accomplished.

513
Photo by Eric Ward on Unsplash

I'll do my best to not cry when I write this, but if you know me, you know I'll probably fail at that.

I get really sappy when I think about the fact that you'll be leaving me soon. Not in the way that our relationship is ending, but in the way that you're moving away because you're about to graduate. I'm selfish and I never want you to be more than five minutes away from me. I just have to keep telling myself that this is happening because of all of your accomplishments and how far you've come.

I'm really just so proud to know you. College is hard, and I know things haven't been easy, personally or academically. They haven't been easy for me either. But my time at this university has been so much better with you by my side, and I've truly cherished every minute of my time here with you.

From the moment we met, you've done nothing but better my life. You've helped me get my life back on track, you've become my best friend, and you've shown me what a truly healthy love feels like. You've been by my side as I figure out who I am and what I stand for, finding my voice and not being afraid of it. You've been my biggest fan and biggest supporter. I have always been able to count on you, and I know that even though you're moving away, that'll still never change.

I've loved seeing you grow. You used to be a lot less social than you are now, only truly showing who you are to people you've gotten to know well over time. You used to not really get too involved in too much, just as much as you had to. Now, you've really blossomed into a person that I hope you're proud of, because I'm proud of you. You aren't afraid to get involved, talk to people, and put yourself out there by doing things you definitely wouldn't have done in the past.

You used to be a lot more closed off. It was honestly a big deal that you even opened up to me and showed me who you are. Now, we tell each other absolutely everything and anything. I know parts of you that no one else ever has, and you know me better than I probably know myself. You're not afraid to let people in and let them love you anymore.

I've fallen head over heels for you. When you leave, it's going to really hurt. I've grown to be really spoiled being able to wake up next to you every morning, so much so that sleeping alone just doesn't feel right. But, I know that we'll be reunited not too far from now. When I graduate, we'll be right back where we were, side by side, and I'll never have to let you go.

The time I've spent with you here in college has been the best time of my life. I've seen you grow, I've seen you achieve. You may not really feel that you've accomplished so much, but when you reflect over all four years you've spent here, you'll see what I mean. I've been so lucky to be by your side during what's dubbed the "best years of your life," and because of you, they definitely have been my best years.

I'm so, so proud of you, and I can't wait to cheer you on as you walk across that stage. Just ignore me if I start crying.