An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Dad

9 Thank You's I Want To Give To My Boyfriend's Dad

You have become so much more than that.

86

An open letter to my boyfriend's dad:

To my lovely boyfriend's dad, your kindness has gone so much further than just that of your son's significant other. You have treated me like your own from before I even started dating your son. Your heart is full and it shows in everything you do. To say I wasn't nervous getting to know you at first would be a lie. I wanted to prove to you that your son and I were meant to be, and I think I did.

But along with that, I have so much to thank you for. Besides the obvious of helping your wife produce such a wonderful human being. You have done so much more. Thank you for...

The endless laughter.

I love the little inside jokes we have. When you do or say something wildly hilarious, and I'm the only one that catches you doing it. Those are moments I always cherish.

For being so supportive.

The boosts of encouragement, even those small, go a long way.

For always answering my questions, detailed.

One of my favorite things about you, is that when I ask you a question, you always give a detailed answer. It's as if, you think of what questions may come back to you after the answer to the first, so you give all the answers right away. Your knowledge is something I look up to.

Your strength.

Your son, who I love more than words can express, has always looked up to you for your strength. I have to thank you for that. My mother was always my biggest role model, partly because of her immense strength (mentally and physically.) It's nice to see that you share that same bond.

Your inspiration.

I speak for myself and your son when I say you are truly inspiring. He wants nothing more than to follow in your foot steps. He says if he can be half the man you are, he'll have accomplished something great. The inspiration you give him every day is something I can thank you enough for.

Dancing with me.

This may come as silly, but it means a lot when we dance together. Doesn't have to always be intentionally dancing next to each other at the dance hall, those moments dancing side by side mean a lot to me. I enjoy being able to dance alongside you, and learn from you as well.

For being a great teacher.

While you've mainly taught me dancing, you've taught your son so much more than that. You teach him everyday how to be the best man that he can be. Coming from the girl who lives with him and loves him, you have succeeded.

For taking part in making your son the man he is.

You have taught him (along with your wife) everything he knows. From how to change a tire, how to teach a dance, to how to treat a lady the right way. Your son is above and beyond respectful, courteous and one of the most kind-hearted people I know. I have you to thank for that.

For treating me as your own.

With my experience dating, I've usually gotten along pretty well with my significant other's fathers. But there's a lot to say about the ones that you are polite and respectful with and the ones that you could call at two in the morning for help and they'd be there. Most fathers will say hello to their son's girlfriend and laugh with them from time to time. Not many can truly share a bond with them. I'm blessed to say we do. You have treated me as your own from day one. Giving advice and lending a helping hand or a hug when the time calls for it.

Words can never truly thank you for all that you do. I am grateful to the highest extent for being my boyfriend's dad, but for being an overall exceptional human being. Thank you for the care and love you give. The love is shared right back.