Olivia Jade

Someone Lost Their Chance To Attend An Elite School Because Of Olivia Jade And Her Family

There are so many students who lost the chance to go to this school because of people like Olivia Jade.

45
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlEROtkAjmX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

As most of you know, influencer Olivia Jade was recently caught in a college admissions scandal known as "Operation Varsity Blues," where at least 50 people including actresses, CEOs, and university staff have been accused of using bribery and fraud to obtain admission for their children into elite colleges. One of these actresses includes Lori Loughlin, better known as Aunt Becky from the sitcom "Full House." Loughlin and her husband allegedly paid $500,000 to get their daughters, Bella and Olivia, designated as USC row recruits to gain admission and falsified college applications and SAT scores.

Olivia Jade is best known for her status as a social media influencer, racking up millions of followers across her platforms. Throughout her YouTube career, she constantly assured her subscribers that she had worked hard for everything she obtained, including her entry into USC. After hearing about the case as a long time subscriber, I was truly disgusted. It's one thing to lie to millions of young and impressionable girls who look up to you as a role model, but it's another thing to steal a spot from someone who actually worked hard to achieve the things you put no effort into. Even something as simple as filling out the application.

There are so many high school students who don't have the opportunity to obtain a higher education, and if they do, they're most likely working for years to reach standards set by these colleges. The fact that someone with such a large platform (who didn't need college for a job or even wanted to go to college in the first place) only adds to the truth about rich privilege. Olivia Jade continuously made claims about not caring about school and wanting to go for parties and game days instead, yet her parents bribed her way into the university anyways, preventing a struggling high school student from achieving the goal of their dreams. Simply because they had the financial ability to do so.

Both Olivia and her sister have dropped out of USC in fear of getting bullied for the crime that was committed, but Olivia has been dropped from multiple endorsements and brand deals with companies such as Sephora and Marc Jacobs, and her mother has been cut from her projects with the channel Hallmark. Olivia has yet to release a statement or apology following the scandal, but no amount of sincerity can account for the spot she took from someone that deserved her place at USC, someone who worked their entire life to achieve it, but they couldn't due to her and her parents' ignorance.