How Writing For Odyssey Is Kinda Difficult
Life Stages

4 Ways Being An Odyssey Writer is Frustrating

Some things I have found frustrating with writing for the Odyssey.

78

I have not been a member for very long and I honestly was not expecting to find these kind of issues. I am not saying I have not enjoyed writing for this organization, however, that does not excuse some things that I find to be quite annoying.

1. Articles get changed. 

I love the aspect of being able to express my thoughts and opinions about certain topics. I honestly, get to put my heart and soul into it. I have a passion for writing and most famous writers become popular because of the passion and soul they put into their articles or papers. Throughout my time here on Odyssey, I have experienced a couple of article changes. I am not saying anything like grammar or punctuation, I am saying title changes and photography changes. My first article and my second to the last article have had a few of these changes. Making the title seem as if it was not me talking. That it was not my idea. I would have been completely okay if the editor messaged me saying, "Hey, love the idea, but you might want to try this title!" or "I think this picture would do better for you article." instead of changing it without my own knowledge. I made me believe that those photos or creative titles are not worthy. Not to mention frustrating to have to go back and change those items back to their original state.

2. You have the freedom to write about anything.

If you join this organization you can have the freedom of writing whatever you desire to write about. BUT you can't write about self-care, TV shows, movies, the Kardashians, finals, Christmas gift ideas, or really anything cliche. WELP! That ruined my ideas of writing about Kim Kardashian watching tv shows that were explaining about the top ten movies in the world while doing self-care and thinking about finals. Not mention she was doing Christmas shopping. 😒 I was told at the very beginning that I would be able to write about anything I really wanted. That I would be able to express my thoughts and feelings about certain topics. NOW YOU SAY I CANNOT TALK ABOUT FINALS WHICH IS PROBABLY THE MOST RELATABLE ARTICLE DURING THIS TIME OF THE YEAR. If you are passionate about writing a certain topic I don't believe anyone should have the right to say what you can or cannot write about. So, if you want to write about Kim Kardashian watching tv shows that were explaining about the top ten movies in the world while doing self-care and thinking about finals, you do it! Oh, do not forget about the Christmas shopping.

3. There's always issues with core. 

ISSUES ISSUES ISSUES!!!!!! AGGHHHHHH!!!

I know there is nothing us writers can do, but it is very frustrating. For the past few articles, I've had to write everything on a separate document site because my writing would disappear after a while. Some of the issues I have not experienced yet, some of my friends have. People could not view their articles for a while or even see their profile picture. Okay, okay, so you would think that us writers or recruiters would hold off a little that way they could solve the issues. NOPE! Let's get more people to be involved and join on as much as possible. BUT you do not tell them there is an issue with the core.

4. Popularity of articles

I joined this organization to just write. However, it feels like a popularity contest to receive the most views. Do not get me wrong, I love to see that people are either enjoying or hating my article. Yet, I feel pushed to have my articles be viewed over a thousand times. I honestly just want people to enjoy my writing and possibly see some inspiration from it. I do not want to be a part of the in-crowd and write about 21 best pumpkin spice flavors, yet that seems to be the most relatable ones. I want to write something that is inspiring for others. Allow others to develop their own thoughts and conclusions from it.

As a part of taking care of yourself, it is good to take things off your chest. It does not matter if it may seem stupid or irrelevant. It's something that weighs heavy on you and it feels nice to let go of the frustrating, upsetting, or confusing thoughts. I did this through this article and many other of my personal writings.