An Ode To Enthusiasm

An Ode To Enthusiasm

Depriving yourself of sucking the marrow out of life does nothing but let life suck the marrow out of you.

173
An Ode To Enthusiasm
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...” — Henry David Thoreau

Thoreau's words transcend beyond the enlightenment period of the industrial revolution, which is most likely why he was later known as one of the most influential Transcendentalists of his time.

Attending a public school of nearly 3,000 students, the reality of high school was much, much more different from the movies. Football game attendance was usually bleak, hallways were always more aggressive than you might think, and Spirit Week was meant for the kids that liked to sit on the floor of the cafeteria, against the wall next to the vending machines.

One of the most prominent and ever present ambiances of high school, or really anywhere throughout most of growing up, was the condescending attitude towards caring about anything.

Sure, there were sports and student government and other extra curricular activities. Students were relatively involved in robotics and National Honor Society, but everyone always seemed so miserable being involved in anything. There was always something to complain about, lack of funds, no one knowing what they were doing, or the people in charge were unbearable.

Even attendance at prom was abysmal.

Is this normal for high school? Is this normal for anywhere? Why is it so ingrained into the traditional high school experience to learn that not enjoying things is normal? Why is everyone simply rolling through the motions, waiting for the day they graduate in order to "escape" and truly enjoy the life they want to live?

How are students supposed to go into college or the workforce or virtually anywhere in the future and have to be exposed to the idea that enjoying things, being passionate about things, actually caring about things, is how you were really meant to enjoy life.

People will joke about the absurdity of school spirit, of the desperation of working hard in academics, of the futility of trying something because it's destined to fail, and I call bull.

The comfort and company one can find in apathy is toxic. It is insulting. It is wasteful.

It is incredibly detrimental to how someone perceives themselves and their future.

When you learn how to not care about something, it can only take so long until you forget how to care at all.

Thoreau writes about sucking the marrow out of life, of living deliberately and not through resignation. There is nothing attractive nor appealing to the apathetic approach of living, of letting things happen to you, and as comfortable as it is, it is quite disgusting.

Don't be embarrassed to be excited about something. Don't be ashamed about cheering the loudest at a sports game, or raising your hand the most in a class you really like. Don't let other people make you feel bad about being excited about the latest John Green book, or Marvel movie, or the Spongebob Squarepants Musical.

Better yet, don't make other people feel bad about what brings them joy in life.

Live your best life, without fear of looking stupid. Because, be real, we already look stupid.

There is no waiting till graduation for you to enjoy what you really enjoy. There is no finish line for when you can finally relish what makes you geek out. Happiness, success, and joy are not the destination. It's the journey.