A Note To Those Who Are Not In The Service Industry

Think twice before you blame your server or valet for something that is bigger than them.

11
Lionsgate Productions

To those whom it may concern,

I have been in the service industry for the majority of my work career. I started off as a barback for a summer, and after realizing that I was not a huge fan of the restaurant atmosphere, I transitioned into my current job as a valet in the downtown area. The experience has been a great one. I have met some of my closest friends, I drive a lot of cool cars, and I have experienced some of Cleveland's greatest moments. However, this letter is not intended for me to brag about the benefits of being a valet. It is so much more than that. It is to send a message to those who are unaware of just how much service industry employees go through on a daily basis.

As previously mentioned, I work as a valet in the downtown area. More specifically, I am located on East 4th, which is home to some of the most exclusive restaurants in the city. This, of course, comes at a price, and I do not just mean that literally. When I first started working on 4th almost three years ago, I had multiple people ask me questions like (and I am paraphrasing), "Do you meet a lot of fancy people?" and "Do you drive expensive cars?"

I am one to say that it is not all that is cracked up to be. Driving expensive cars can be fun, but that does mean it is contingent with the amount of money that we make. Sometimes those with the nicest cars are the most standoffish and least likely to take care of you. This was my biggest realization early on in my time as a valet.

I have met my fair share of actors, singers, and sports professionals, and more times than not, they could not care less about who you are. To many, you are just a body who will be parking their car and dropping it off to them. This may put my job in jeopardy, but our 2016 NBA Champs are the greatest example of this. There have been many instances where arrogance has taken the place of common courtesy. I once had someone tell me that I was not worthy of a tip. Despite excellent service, I was being blamed for something that was out of my control. I am simply making a note that they have little regard for those who help make the after parties of theirs more enjoyable. End rant.

The people I have met in the service industry are incredible people. They deserve more respect than they are given. Think twice before you blame your server or valet for something that is bigger than them.

Regards,

Robert Jones