Why Never Taking Risks Is My Worst Fear

Why Never Taking Risks Is My Worst Fear

Life is not about finding yourself. It's actually about creating yourself.

69
Why Never Taking Risks Is My Worst Fear
Tumblr

Sometimes, it's the little things in life that make the biggest difference.

Today was pretty bad, it really was. I sprained my ankle, and now I'm out of field hockey for essentially the remainder of the season. I cried a little. Because who knows what's going to happen next? When will I recover? Can I swim in winter, or is that over with now too? You don't know what you have until it's gone. But, then again, life isn't over. There's so much to look forward to, and there's so little that can truly ruin your life.

It's all about the little things, and being grateful for them. Because though they may be few and far between, they make the hugest difference. My grandpop always has inspiring advice for me whenever I see him. He tell me to, "never grow up, Cookie." "Never reach Never Never land, Cookie." "You only have one life to live, you've got to do what makes you happy."

And I never truly believed the significance of his words before, but now I'm growing up, and the message is clear. I'm 15, and I have my entire life ahead of me. And luckily, it's all in my hands. I'm learning to let go of the little things, and focus on myself, who I love, what I love to do, and the beautiful, amazing people around me.

I'm learning to put old flames in the past, because if I can't touch the past, then why should I let it touch me?

On my journey, I've discovered something really important. Life is NOT about finding yourself. It's actually about creating yourself.

I'm no Martin Luther. I don't believe in predestination. I believe that life is all in my hands. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and faith is the source of all my hope. But, I do think that what you put into it is what you'll get out of it. I choose to work hard, do my best, and always be confident. I choose to put effort into everything that I do. Because I know what I want, and I know exactly how I'm going to get it. Most of all, I know who I want to be.

Life is what you want it to be. If you work hard, you'll get results.

Life is about calling strangers beautiful. It's about designing sweet sixteen invitations. It's about attending the homecoming dance in a pretty dress and heels - even if you don't have a date. It's about texting that cute boy that you've always loved but have been afraid to tell.

Because rejection is not my worst fear. Never taking a risk is.

Not being incredible is my fear. Not making the most of my life. Not taking a risk.

Now, don't be fooled, I'm the most organized and responsible person you could think of. But, when an opportunity jumps into my hands, no matter what it is, I never shy away from it. Because I have this one life. 80-90 years at most.

And I have this one me. This one time interval of 90 years - if I'm lucky. And there is so much to do, so many people to fall in love with. So many cities to explore. So many books to devour, and dresses to dance in.

But you get one. And that's the magic of it - how you decide to live it.