I'm Not Sure Of My Future And That's Okay

I'm Not 100% Sure About My Future And That's Okay

I'm learning to accept my unsure future day by day.

34

I came to a realization about myself this week while I was vacationing in Panama City Beach. I was sitting at the beach with my family and talking about our lives as we tend to do. My sister used to be the girl who didn't want to be locked in with one guy, she was a wild child who didn't know what she wanted to do when she grew up. This year, my sister is dating a guy from our hometown, wants to stay in our hometown for college, and wants to live there for the rest of her life.

Currently, the thought of settling down and getting married right now makes my head spin, but whenever I'm asking that daunting question, "What do you want to do after graduation?" my head spins so much more. I know I'm not ready to have a family yet, or a house, or to remain in one place for more than five years. Moreover, I hate answering any question when I can't be truthful and I honestly don't know what I want to do in my future, per se.

During the beginning of summer, I took Civic Engagement and met a group of people who are extremely passionate and sure of their futures. Two students in my group both want to be teachers and are passionately progressing their lives in every way to be the best damn teachers for the future generation. There's another student who is already succeeding in his field and is finalizing his degree and another who is struggling but you can see such passion when she's doing her work. I crave to have that same inspiration to live each day ardently, once I figure out my life's true calling.

It's easy for family members to say "It's okay to not know what your future holds" because when you've achieved all your goals, are married, and won't die alone, it's easy to say anything. So instead I seek advice from friends or sorority sisters who either reassure me that I'm not alone or make me concerned for their future. It's rare that anyone knows their future 100% set in stone, so I shouldn't be so overly stressed about it.

Here's the thing, I have goals (in no particular order with no relation): Travel across the world, speak another language, impress my peers and create a legacy for my future family. I know I want to achieve them at some point in my life. So for now, I'll be excited to get my degree and wing it from there.