Not So New Years Resolution

Not So New Years Resolution

It's the "New year, New me" time of the year

3
Not So New Years Resolution
pexels.com

This is my favorite time of the year because everyone shows appreciation for the sake of the holidays, and time lines are filled with love and happy posts for once. It's refreshing, despite all the clichés of "I'm so thankful for my friends and family", because the remaining 11 months of the year all we see are rants about how tired people are, how their life sucks and can't wait for the weekend/the holiday/the break. Other posts such as "this year was awful, may next one be better" are quite popular during this time. We experience contrasting events, the key of survival is to not be consumed by these and accept them as steps in life.

I am a person who makes resolutions that are often not fulfilled in the way I intend to, for I change my mind about it at some point or I am simply tired of not getting what I visualized when I first said I'd do these things. Every day I have a new chance of making resolution since being alive on new year's day isn't guaranteed. Why not make the most out of now? Why not make random resolutions?

My 2016 main resolution was to write more: I wanted to create a full story, a literature piece I could call my own and be proud of and maybe submit it to contests to see where it would take me. However, with my commonly self doubt, I dropped it two months after I started. Nevertheless, I still kept writing on my journal, hoping one day inspiration would struck me with its almighty lightning. I started taking classes in college that might help me with my writing. One good thing that I got from them was the feedback from one of my teachers, whose spirit will always resonate me. He told me to never stop writing, that he saw a lot of potential in me. Two quarters later and I still recollect that day.

I had many other resolutions which I believe won't be fulfilled in a lapse of 365 days, such as staying on top of my academics, getting in shape, taking more care of myself... in other words, all self improvement. Everything depends on how much effort is put into them, considering to finish a new year resolution one has to be ever present physically and mentally. There are a few resolutions I'd make myself, understanding that I don't need the excuse of a new year to motivate myself to do such as to not take anything or anyone for granted.

Being once one of those people who thought that resolutions could be only for new years, and that waiting for a future for things to be better was the only way to get through life, I learned that change is needed. I look forward to every day ahead of me, not only 2017 to make changes in my life.