Don't Follow The Status Quo

Don't Follow The Status Quo

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble makers.

583
Don't Follow The Status Quo

Take a moment to think about the middle & high school years. This doesn't apply for everyone but it was all about maintaining the status quo and trying not to show the true you in fear of being mocked.

Lets face it, you were labeled whether you realized it or not. There were the jocks, the popular crowd, the nerds, the theater group, the art group, the computer tech savy group, and the band group. Was being labeled really all worth it, I mean who cares what you did or who you hung out with? No one should have been worried about what people were thinking of them if they did this or that.

I can't speak for everyone but didn't anyone notice how judgmental people were back in those days? For instance say someone actually enjoyed studying and doing well in academics but was made fun of because that's not the "cool way to be". Seriously, being made fun for actually caring about grades was pretty immature to say the least.

This is the thing though once you get into college you can be yourself because you don't have to have this image to uphold in front of high school teens that are judgmental. People don't care what you do in college. You can do things that interest you because you don't have people judging you. You'll find that you are truly happier because your not having to spend time and effort into being someone you're not.

Luckily, as we grow older, we realize we don't care about labels and if one of those fits us, YAY! True! Yes, that IS me.

What a great feeling - to finally be able to act out who you really are inside! To realize, yes I AM that nerd who loves to study, prepare for tests one week in advance, check my grades online daily, and secretly read my textbook before the class even starts. I can be myself. I like knowing about my units of study before the class starts. It makes me feel comfortable. I like knowing my class standing everyday. It makes me know whether I have to study more. I like reading and spending time in the library. I like being a nerd. Before, when I worried about labels, I had to pretend not to do these habits, or actually just not do them at all. Simply because I didn't want to be "called out".

Now I live out who I really am. And you know what? No one says anything, no one notices, no one cares if I am who I am. There are more important things for people to worry about in life in THEIR life than how I act in mine.

AND THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE.

Steve Jobs once said :

" Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square wholes. The one's who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing that you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward. Maybe they have to be crazy. Because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world are the ones that do."