North American League Of Legends Power Rankings And Predictions For Week 1

With four new teams, everything has changed

210
flickr

Being the first season since franchising, having four new teams and a ton of movement of players makes this season look exciting. Not only this but a season that could change the usual power structure of teams and promoted the rise of new teams and growth for not just LCS but also esports. I have predicted games from both days but go into more detail for games on day 1 while also looking over the teams. Finally I have my power rankings of the ten teams prior to week 1 games.

Team Solo Mid VS Team LIQUID

The North American LCS season spring season opened up on the 20th with a match-up of two age-old teams; Team Liquid and TSM. While both teams have legacies, they are both very different teams in comparison to last season. Not only this, but these teams are two of the six remaining teams from pre-franchising. We should expect both teams going at it to show who they are in this new age of League of Legends esports.

As the season starts, I question will this new Team Liquid be in the bottom half or be top "four" as the memes use to suggest way back in the day. With an Immortals second-hand line up with someone as talented as Doublelift and someone as sturdy in the top lane as Impact, I am expecting them to be in the top 5. I think when a season starts, one of the biggest things is synergy. Which I believe Liquid has somewhat with 3 of 5 of Immortals old squad.

Against TSM though, I am worried about how they will perform. With a powerhouse in the jungle with MikeYueng and the EU gods of bottom lane, it's up in the air. In terms of skill, I believe the teams are somewhat on par with each other. But the synergy built between Zven and Mithy is something that should scare all of NA. But TSM had a great bot lane, so I feel like the real change is this jungle, having someone who knows how to play will bring TSM to its former glory in my views, rather it might. And with a new coaching staff, it could spice up TSM's strategy and give them some momentum. I give the game to TSM.

100 Thieves vs Optic Gaming

Right after the clash of the old comes two of the four new teams going right at it. I give the game easily to 100 Thieves. I say this because Optics line up (Zig, Akaadian, PowerOfEvil, Arrow and LemonNation) just seems really weak to me. I think Lemon is probably the worst support from last season and is going to only hold Arrow back. While Arrow and POE are extremely good, I feel like they won't mesh the team. Akaadians a powerhouse, but he is unreliable and while his style will work really well with an aggressive Zig, bot side is going to be so weak that any team will just focus botside when going against Optic. The team seems thrown together to me, and just don't see much coming from them, at least with LemonNation.

Against them, is a team I am very excited for. As an old-school Meteos fan, seeing him come back is always fun, and he's still super talented. Not only this but having Ssumday and CodySun (both who I see as best in their role in the NALCS) gives them an all-star lineup. And having the legend himself, Aphromoo helping to develop and support Cody will produce a real scare in the bot lane which will compare to Zven and Mithy. And with the consist Ryu mid lane that reminds me of the CLG Pobelter, this team looks amazing and I am very excited to see them dominate.

Clutch Gaming vs Golden Guardians

Again, we will see two new teams going up. But they are more or less last seasons Envy (Clutch) vs just what I see as the weakest team in the region. My feelings toward Hai are similar to LemonNation, he needs to retire. His strategic wisdom is amazing but his actual micro skill on the rift is just horrid in comparison to most other midlaners. While GG has Contractz (which I am still confused by), they seem to be just a very weak team. While Clutch has Envy's bot lane, Apollo and Hakuho, and Lira, I feel like they will have similar problems to last season. But with Febiven, I may be wrong. But I would put my money on them being bottom five and nothing spectacular. I give the game to Clutch.

Echo Fox vs Flyquest

Other than a horrid midlaner (Fenix) Echo Fox looks super good and I am expecting them to come out strong this first week. With Huni top lane, Dardoch jungle, and Altec/Adrian bot lane this team looks amazing. They seem similar to 100 Thieves, having a super strong top/jungle being super aggressive and carry oriented and then a consistent and powerful bot lane. Midlane, they are slightly worse off in my views. Fenix is talented, but I don't think they need an aggressive midlaner, rather someone like Ryu to hold down the fort mid lane and not take risks. Though they look good, and against Flyquest they look really good. Flyquest does have Flame, but I am not expecting Anda to really support Flame up top or Fly mid really and their bot lane looks weak. Wildturtle is good but easily in the bottom half of ADC's and I don't think Stunt will really change things. I give the win to Echo Fox.

Counter Logic Gaming vs Cloud9

The schedule ends the day like it started, with two teams with huge legacies clashing. This should be an exciting game, with both teams keeping more or less the same lineups other than jungle, this game is really important to show how they have come together as a team with their new jungler. CLG getting Reignover, they power in the jungle has risen a ton from their time with Dardoch and OmarGod. But with the loss of Aphroomoo, I was worried about them. Getting Biofrost though, who while not as good in terms of micro skill, gives me the belief this is not only a stronger team but a more cohesive team.

Cloud9, on the other hand, is not looking anywhere as strong. They replaced their jungle with Svenskeren, who I see as just a horrible player and jungler. I can not see an upside of the move at all for C9. I think they downgraded just a monumental amount, and with a new top laner as well, I am not feeling well in their early season performance. Knowing C9 though, they will pull through midway through the season, but early on they look not only a lot weaker than last season, but weak in comparison to many other teams. I give this game to CLG.

My day 2 predictions are as follows...

Team Liquid win over Optic

TSM win over Flyquest

100 Thieves win over CLG

Cloud9 win over Golden Guardians

Echo Fox win over Clutch

Preseason Power Rankings

1) TSM

2) 100 Thieves

3) CLG

4) Team Liquid

5) Echo Fox

6) Cloud9

7) Clutch

8) Optic

9) Flyquest

10) Golden Guardians