I Don’t Hang Out With College Friends Over Break

Sometimes, we all just need a break.

262
Photo by Anthony Tran on Unsplash

Let's face it; sometimes we're a bit too connected with one another, especially when we're in college. It's understandable. When you eat, study, and live with the same people for at least 9 out of 12 months in a year, it's easy to consider them your family away from home. It's easy to miss them during break.

Which is why, for many college students, they invite and visit their college friends over during break.

I am not one of those people and I prefer to keep it that way.

Maybe it's just me being an introvert, but I think part of it has to do with college culture itself. At least at Villanova University, there's always this sense of urgency during the school year, where you have to be doing something. If you're not studying, then you should be working. If not working, then club activities. If none of those options, then hanging out with friends. If you're not doing any of those options (aka sitting alone in your room, watching Netflix), then you're wasting time.

First of all, that shouldn't be the case, but if you're like me and you cave into pressure easily, breaks are the only time you get to fully rejuvenate. Which brings me to my main point.

I might text and even call my college friends once in a while, but overall, I don't hang out with them. There's a reason this time is called break- it's not just a break from studying and working, it's a break from everything associated with college life, including the people. I don't make plans with my friends from college, because break is a time for me to dissociate from that side of me. It's a time for me to have my 'me' time and to revisit the other parts of my life. The person I am at college is not the only part of me and once my four years are up, that person may still be there, just different from before.

Speaking of the other parts of my life, break is a time for me to hang out with my family and my high school friends (or at least the ones who are still around). Throughout the school, I don't get to talk to them as often as my college friends, so break is when I catch up with them. And if they're not in the mood, well, my time at break can just be me relaxing by myself. Nothing wrong with that at all.

After all, sometimes, we all just need a break from college and the busy lifestyle it encourages.