Relaxing After Finals

It's Nice To Sit Back And Pretend I Don’t Have Any More Obligations To Worry About

I have things to do, but I can take my time.

54
Friends

It is the end of the spring semester, and all that is left are finals. This is the moment where you pick the times you suck it up and start absorbing all the information you need to overcome these last hurdles in your way before (hopefully) some form of break or vacation. Still, despite the pending exams, finals week is a kind of relief because where before you would prepare for and take exams amongst your other obligations, like classes, projects, and extracurriculars, this is when you can maybe just sleep in a little bit before hitting the books.

I did always enjoy finals week because it was that happy medium between living on campus (which I love) and having to do excessive work (including attending class and trying to meet all the deadlines). Even if I had a lot of finals, it still felt like a breather, and I could just go for a walk without having to worry about getting to class on time or getting something done before the due date.

Of course, I have not completely forgotten about the exams and other things I have to do. I am just saying that I can slow down just a little bit. I still need to study and finalize the things I need to do for the summer, especially since I will be working as a camp counselor and need to get a few things out of the way if I want to lock down the job. However, I like that I can lay down and read for just a moment if I want to and when I want to without worrying about other stuff.

During this week, I will have time to unwind and do some things I have been putting off or been squeezing in during the semester since I have one of the latest exam dates. I will be on campus for about two extra weeks. I will be reading (of course), (hopefully) writing, definitely running, brushing up on waning piano playing skills, and (cannot forget) studying.

I have much to do, but at least I have the space (or illusion of space) to breathe before tackling all that I need to and want to do. It will also give me time to reflect back on, lament, and try to accept the past semester because it was not my best. Nothing too drastic, but if you have learned anything about me by now, I tend to take things hard and do not let go of my mistakes well. For example, the one quiz I missed (because I was so busy) that will prevent me from nailing down an A in a class I overall did really well in and dedicated time to. It is moments like that that make you realize how significant every little portion of the syllabus is. That 3% quiz will be haunting me.

I should have time to focus on writing my articles in advance and work out what to do when I will not be having reliable (or, at least, regular) access online while working this summer. I just hope they will let me run from zombies for my daily circuits before I have to put my devices away to focus on my campers. It will be an experience certainly.

I hope you too can find this time among the hectic studying for finals to step back, take a breath, and do what you need to do to make the upcoming times easier or to just make yourself feel a bit better, even if that is just getting some more sleep, watching a movie, or playing an instrument you have not had time to touch.

Take care. Good luck in all that you do. Study hard, rest harder, and happy summer!