NFL Divisional Playoff Preview

NFL Divisional Playoff Preview

There are only 8 teams remaining, so which teams look prepared to advance and which ones will be sent home?

7
NFL Divisional Playoff Preview
Flickr

While the NFL playoffs have already started and the wild card round is complete, I think most people would agree that it was a lackluster start. With multiple back-up quarterbacks starting and no game being closer than 13 points, the wild card round was full of duds. Fortunately, it has set up three intriguing matchups and only one likely blowout. Granted, even when there's a great matchup a great game is not guaranteed.

Now lets get into the matchups..

Texans at Patriots

Clearly this is the least intriguing of all the games this weekend. Besides the fact that Houston is the weakest team left in the playoffs and is still missing its best player in JJ Watt, the Patriots already shutout the Texans this season 27-0. Oh, and they did so without Tom Brady who is 15-3 in his career when playing at home in the playoffs. Also, it is worth mentioning that this is Brady's first playoff game since his Deflategate suspension and playing an angry Tom Brady is never ideal. While the Texans definitely performed better than expected against the Raider last week, they did so against a team that seemed lost after losing Derek Carr to injury. Brock Osweiler hasn't played at a high level all season and making his first postseason start in Galette Stadium will simply be too much for Houston. The NFL season is long so you can't expect another shutout, but you can count on the Patriots to win this one comfortably.

Prediction: Patriots 38, Texans 13

Steelers at Chiefs

The rest of the playoff matchups all have serious potential and it will be interesting to see if the Steelers' high-powered offense can replicate their performance from earlier in the season against the stout Kansas City defense. When the Steelers get Big Ben, Le'Veon Bell, and Antonio Brown firing on all cylinders, this team is as dangerous as any in the playoffs. Both teams have grown since the Steelers' 43-14 victory in Week 4, and I expect the Chiefs to put forth a much better effort this week. A big key for Kansas City will be getting Tyreek Hill involved early and often. He offers home run potential every time he touches the ball and is probably the best weapon the Chiefs have. Travis Kelce will also be heavily involved in the offense and provides his team with a unique talent that only Gronk can replicate, so expect Alex Smith to look his way often. For Pittsburgh, having the defense prevent big plays from the likes of Hill and Kelce should be a priority as well as having one of their big three take over the game on offense. Both teams have had great seasons, but the Steelers are arguably the hottest team in football riding an eight game winning streak and I expect that streak to reach nine on Sunday.

Prediction: Steelers 27, Chiefs 20

Seahawks at Falcons

These two teams already gave us one of the more exciting regular season games this year, so hopefully this playoff matchup can exceed the first meeting. The big question is if the Falcons can prove they belong in the NFL's top tier after winning the NFC's No. 2 seed. They are no doubt a talented team, but with Matt Ryan as the MVP it is time for him to lead Atlanta on a deep playoff run to prove this team is for real. On the other hand, the Seahawks have proved to be consistent contenders over the past few years and their playoff experience makes them a difficult matchup for any team. The key for Seattle will be getting the offense going early, which has been a problem for them this season. After Russell Wilson's phenomenal season in 2015, expectations were sky high and they weren't met. Earl Thomas' continued absence from the Seattle defense will certainly hurt, so look for Matt Ryan and Julio Jones to try to exploit the still dangerous Seahawk secondary. Seattle came out on top earlier this season, but I think Matt Ryan and his high-flying offense are able to avenge their loss to Seattle.

Prediction: Atlanta 34, Seattle 24

Packers at Cowboys

Easily my most anticipated matchup this week. A lot of questions surround the Cowboys, who looked like the best team in the NFL for most of the season. However, when your offense leans on a rookie quarterback and running back there is going to be some skepticism. This will be a big test for Dak and Zeke as they start their playoff careers against a very experienced and on fire Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers will have to do it without top receiver Jordy Nelson though, and that is certainly a big loss for Green Bay. The Cowboys managed to beat the Packers earlier in the season, but everyone knows that this Green Bay is a totally different beast after Rodgers declared his team wouldn't lose another game following a bad loss to the Redskins (which they haven't). While the Packers easily defeated the Giants in the wild card round, don't forget that for the majority of the first half they were helpless until the hail mary that broke the game open. The Cowboys' rookie sensations will undoubtedly receive the most attention heading into Sunday's game, but the Cowboys defense may be the ultimate deciding factor. If Dallas can take some of the pressure off their rookies by containing Aaron Rodgers and co., look for the Cowboys to advance. But when you have Aaron Rodgers under center, you always have a chance. I expect a close game with some fourth quarter heroics ultimately sealing the deal for Dallas.

Prediction: Cowboys 27, Packers 24