What To Look For In The NFL Conference Championship Games

With only four teams remaining and four elite quarterbacks at the helm, who will find their way to the Super Bowl?

5

So, here we are, only four teams remain as the end of the NFL season approaches. Last week gave us an excellent playoff game between Dallas and Green Bay, so, hopefully, the AFC and NFC Championship games can match or exceed that intensity. I managed to pick three of the four games correctly, but Aaron Rodgers was able to come through with some late-game heroics yet again to advance in the playoffs and ruin my hopes of going 4-0 on predictions. Fortunately, we should be in for a treat this weekend as all four remaining teams have elite quarterbacks and are capable of putting up 30+ points on any given Sunday. Now, let's go 2-0 on this week's picks...

AFC Championship

Pittsburgh Steelers at New England Patriots

While both teams certainly could have played better last week, they still managed to do enough to advance. New England had an off night and still managed to put up 34 points on a stout Houston defense. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh never managed to find the end zone against Kansas City, but managed to kick SIX field goals and get the win on the road. The good news for the Steelers is that Le'Veon Bell was able to keep the offense afloat by rushing for 170 yards and chewing up the clock to give Pittsburgh the time of possession advantage. However, this week Pittsburgh will have to find their way into the end zone to have any chance of beating the Patriots on the road. For the Patriots, the obvious objective will be to shut down Bell and Antonio Brown, forcing Ben Roethlisberger to distribute the ball elsewhere. Granted, that is a big task for a New England defense that faced a Roethlisberger-less Steelers earlier in the season. While I expect both teams to put up some points, it is hard to go against a pissed off Tom Brady playing in the playoffs in Gillette Stadium (just imagine how fired up he would be if Roger Goodell had decided to attend). I think New England takes care of business and advances to yet another Super Bowl.

Patriots 27, Steelers 23

NFC Championship

Green Bay Packers at Atlanta Falcons

This game should be GOOD. Green Bay is coming off one of the most exciting playoff games in recent memory and Atlanta looked dominant in their win against Seattle. I sure didn't expect Matty Ice to drop 36 points on the league's most notorious defense, but what will the Falcons do for an encore? Being able to put up 30 or more points against the Packers would go a long way, because we know the Packers can put up big numbers as well. The key for the Falcons will be scoring enough points to avoid a late-game field goal drive or hail mary from Rodgers. At this point, no late game heroics that guy could pull off would surprise me, and that has to be on the mind of Atlanta players and coaches. Last week I didn't pick the Packers because I thought the loss of Jordy Nelson would be too much of a handicap against a good Dallas team, and I was wrong. However, this week Rodgers may be missing both Nelson and Davante Adams (a decision on his status likely won't be made until Sunday). While those are certainly big losses for Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers seems to find ways to win despite the talent and health of those around him. I expect this game to be a shootout that very well may come down to who has the last possession. I look for the Falcons to focus heavily on getting Julio Jones involved early and often while managing the clock to keep the ball out of Rodgers' hands as much as possible late in the game. The Falcons will make the final game in the Georgia Dome a special one by pulling out the victory.

Falcons 34, Packers 31